Convert .fdf to .pdf

Ty44ler

Were you able to resolve this?  This is driving me crazy.  I think I'm at the same point you were when you were seeking help.  Thanks for any help.

Which part are you stuck on?

I can generate the fdf no problem.  Everything seems to work fine there.  But I can't generate the PDF from there.  Ty44ler adds additional code to the original which I thought would resolve the problem.  I enter that and get syntax error at ?>  Not sure why though.  Thanx for any help though.

Here's all I do:

$fdf_file="CMS".$focus->caseid.".fdf";
$pdf_file="CMS".$focus->caseid.".pdf";
$fdf_dir=".\\pdfFiles\\";
exec('pdftk cms1500.pdf fill_form '.$fdf_dir.$fdf_file.' output '.$fdf_dir.$pdf_file.' flatten');
exec('del '.$fdf_dir.$fdf_file);

I then make sure that my PDF form file, pdftk.exe and libiconv2.dll are in the same directory as the file calling these commands (which in my case is index.php in the root directory) and this works like a charm.  Where do you have your files located?

Here's all I do:

$fdf_dir=".\\pdfFiles\\";
exec('pdftk cms1500.pdf fill_form '.$fdf_dir.$fdf_file.' output '.$fdf_dir.$pdf_file.' flatten');

I then make sure that my PDF form file, pdftk.exe and libiconv2.dll are in the same directory as the file calling these commands (which in my case is index.php in the root directory) and this works like a charm.  Where do you have your files located?

Okay, I've got everything in the same directory with the exception of the results directory.  I'm missing the pdftk.exe and libiconv2.dll.  That's probably what's wrong.  I have time this afternoon to work on this, so I'm going to give it a shot.  Thanks so much...  Hope it works!

Yup.  That's probably it.  Here's the link:

http://www.pdflabs.com/docs/install-pdftk/

Still having some issues.  It may be related to my directories.  I'm not in the root.  I'm running everything from a directory called PDF.  Maybe I should just go to the root?

This is what it looks like:

if($fp=fopen($fdf_dir.'/'.$fdf_file,'w')){

fwrite($fp,$fdf_data,strlen($fdf_data));

echo $fdf_file,' written successfully.';

}else{

die('Unable to create file: '.$fdf_dir.'/'.$fdf_file);

}

$fdf_dir=".\\pdf\results\\";

exec('pdftk test.pdf fill_form '.$fdf_dir.$fdf_file.' output '.$fdf_dir.$pdf_file.' flatten');

fclose($fp);

}

}else{

echo 'You did not submit a form.';

}

?>

That's what I would recommend.  I tried doing something similar to what you have (pdf in one directory, pdftk.exe in another directory, file executing in another directory), and I kept getting errors.  Then I just dumped them all in the root, and it just worked.

But from your example, do you have the exe and dll files in the same directory as the file that's calling the exec() function, because that's how it looks pathed out?

No sure.  But the FDF is writing and I have the permission set to write and execute.  Did you have to change anything in the createFDF.php file?

function createFDF($file,$info){

$data="%FDF-1.2\n%âãÏÓ\n1 0 obj\n<< \n/FDF << /Fields [ ";

foreach($info as $field => $val){

if(is_array($val)){

$data.=<</T('.$field.')/V[';

foreach($val as $opt)

$data.='('.trim($opt).')';

$data.=]>>';

}else{

$data.='<</T('.$field.')/V('.trim($val).')>>';

}

}

$data.="] \n/F (".$file.") /ID [ <".md5(time()).">\n] >>".

" \n>> \nendobj\ntrailer\n".

"<<\n/Root 1 0 R \n\n>>\n%%EOF\n";

return $data;

}

Nope.  Didn't change anything.  Although this is what my $date looks like in my file:

$data="%FDF-1.2\n%&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;\n1 0 obj\n<< \n/FDF << /Fields [ ";

Hmmm..  I dunno.  If all your PHP, EXE, DLL and PDF form files are in the same directory and it's still not generating a PDF, then permissions is the only thing I can think of.  Hell, I even gave the "Everyone" group full permissions.  What web server are you using?

• 1 month later...

That's what I was thinking.  If everything is in the appropriate location, then the only explanation that I see is that your web server can't execute exe files or that the permissions aren't set to allow the execution of exe file.  You should be able to control that, right?  Do you have access to the server?

• 5 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.