Which PHP Editor do you think is the best? [v2]

Daniel0

Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vi(m)
    • Emacs
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • NetBeans
    • TextMate
    • Other
    • Aptana
    • UltraEdit
    • PHPStorm
    • Sublime
    • Code Lobster

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm I was using FlashDevelop IDE for learning how to make a game in Actionscript 3.0, I liked it alot. I"m really wondering is there PHP IDE's like that? Its soo fast... Seriously download and try it out, its so shiny and fast, I think it uses the famous free icons from famfamfam.com. Its written in C# too.

I was thinking if I could find  a IDE like that for PHP, I would be blazing threw my projects.

The ones I can find for PHP are written in slow ass Java! Damn what were they thinking, I can't stand it. Netbeans and Eclipse are off my list, next some of those are only Mac. I can't find anything that is like Flashdevelop for PHP. :'(

Iv'e been using vim for years though have been loving Netbeans since I programming work full time.

How can you stand the IDE written in Java?  In FlashDevelop I can click on the [+] thing beside the folder in the structure tree, and click on it  as fast I can click the mouse and it responds fast, thats what I'm looking for, those IDEs, you click on them and have to wait like 0.5-1 seconds. The "lag" effect Gets on my nerves, same thing opening the php files.  I guess I'm stuck with Notepad++ for php. :P  I did find a cool "Folder' viewing for Notepad++ so its starting to look more like a IDE, but still missing the intelsense.

Did you ever calculate if you earn more time not having this 0.5-1s lag on opening files than you loose by not having features like code hinting, instant syntax error finding, built-in VC tools etc.. ?

Did you ever calculate if you earn more time not having this 0.5-1s lag on opening files than you loose by not having features like code hinting, instant syntax error finding, built-in VC tools etc.. ?

I think understand what you mean, intellesense saves time, say you forget if the method in a class or function file is Foo_bar()  or foo_bars(), the intellense will save you from having to open the file and look. That could save you a few minutes at best. But then again waiting  .5- 1 seconds each time you open a file can be irratating, its like waiting for a slow website to load. We know that the average internet user will not wait more then 5 seconds, then will close your site.  For me I would like a IDE that open up the files microseconds, like 0.002, that my 'threshold" before I get irritated. lol  :P

Intellisense is actually Microsoft's trademarked technology AFAIK, so you won't find it anywhere except MS IDEs. ;)

Anyway, arguments you present are like advice to use '' instead of "" for strings, because they're a bit faster. It's not going to make your script execute noticeably faster though, because most time is spend elsewhere.

Same with IDE. What good is instant file opening, when I need to find missing ; or } or) now and then AFTER I have saved the file and reloaded it in browser? In NB you have these (and other) errors highlighted the instant you make them. That's where time is saved.

php designer  2008 is seriously better than anything ive ever used.

you can write pages easily twice as fast thanks to the very advanced auto completion.

you can see exactly what the code is doing with the function lists (which appear in a little box) when you highlight parts of your code.

I've used eclipse and netbeans both in addition to IDEs written in C or C++.

I'm going to have to agree with keldorn that Java-based IDEs are slow in general and can become completely unusable in large projects or when large files are opened.

I've also noticed that Java applications tend to have worse performance on Windows than they do on Linux.

For what it's worth, I still use netbeans at home because it's free.  I also use eclipse at work to design reports.

:)

Notepad ++, With an epic ammount of configuration I can actually get an editor that does exactly what I want it to.

1. Display readable code.

2. Manage projects.

3. Get rid of the bulk.

I couldn't care less about an editor that had 1001 features if I did not use 1000 of them, Notepad ++ after the most exhausting search of my life fulfilled my needs :).

Hope others like it too, I'd donate if I had a job every time I used it :P.

So I've been using out Netbeans again for the last week, I'm starting to like it. haha I'm such a hypocrit. But no actually I installed an HD 4670 with 1 GB GDDR2 Vram just recently becuase the price of these cards has come down alot in the past 8 months, and Java virtual machine must like it becuase it working ALOT faster now,except for the lag part when you start when the virtual machine complies the code.

But hey I guess if that is what it takes...  The price you pay for writing apps in interpreted languages is that you'll need some good hardware to use it. ;)