Which PHP Editor do you think is the best? [v2]

Daniel0

Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vi(m)
    • Emacs
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • NetBeans
    • TextMate
    • Other
    • Aptana
    • UltraEdit
    • PHPStorm
    • Sublime
    • Code Lobster

• 4 weeks later...

Notepad ++, With an epic ammount of configuration I can actually get an editor that does exactly what I want it to.

1. Display readable code.

2. Manage projects.

3. Get rid of the bulk.

I couldn't care less about an editor that had 1001 features if I did not use 1000 of them, Notepad ++ after the most exhausting search of my life fulfilled my needs :).

Hope others like it too, I'd donate if I had a job every time I used it :P.

Agree with you :) Vote goes to Notepad++ :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nusphere Phped is the one for me. Actually, i am very surprised that it isnt included in the survey. It is more fast than eclipse and zend studio, serves more customizing options(customizing auto-complete times makes coding really fast), it has real good project management capabilities.

http://www.nusphere.com/products/phped.htm

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I use this IDE as well.  The only other IDE that compared in terms of speed was Zend 5.5, which was the version before ZendEclipse.

There is one thing that PHPED does that drives me insane to no end though.  When it auto-completes a function it puts the caret between the parens, which is fine.  But when you type the closing paren yourself it adds an extra paren instead of just overwriting the existing one.  I tried to find a setting that controls this but couldn't.  :(

Example:

file_get_contents(|);  // # Typed: file_get_cont<space>
file_get_contents('foo'|); // # Typed: 'foo'
file_get_contents('foo')|); // #typed: )
                                         // and now there's two closing parents  

There is one thing that PHPED does that drives me insane to no end though.  When it auto-completes a function it puts the caret between the parens, which is fine.  But when you type the closing paren yourself it adds an extra paren instead of just overwriting the existing one.  I tried to find a setting that controls this but couldn't.  :(

I got this with quotes in NB 6.8. I can swear to Rasmus it wasn't working this way in 6.7 and below.

I got this with quotes in NB 6.8. I can swear to Rasmus it wasn't working this way in 6.7 and below.

I have NB 6.8 Beta at home and it works correctly with parens.  I haven't noticed one way or the other with quotes; if I remember I'll check tonight.

Yeah, I installed netbeans (actually from seeing your sig over and over) and had mixed thoughts. I did like the actual error checking instead of just syntax highlighting, but the auto quote/bracket thing was aweful!

It's one of those things you either like or don't like , do or don't do. I switched off of it (and removed it as I went back to *nix) and stuck with something a little more simple.. Just don't need those features. VIM/Mousepad

I have NB 6.8 Beta at home and it works correctly with parens.  I haven't noticed one way or the other with quotes; if I remember I'll check tonight.

Ok... so I messed up quotes with braces {} and PHP code with JS code. And to make it more elusive, it doesn't happen everytime...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I couldn't get used to Netbeans after such a long time using PHP Designer.

I have recently started using Aptana though for my HTML/CSS. Was previously using DW but only because  i was used to it.

I'd use PHP Designer for HTML/CSS too if it auto completed CSS like DW and Aptana.

• 1 month later...

Is there a "view page" feature for notepad++ or is the view for the coding part the only view?

Dreamweaver has  a "split" view and I was wondering if Notepad++ had it..

Nah mate, could possibly be a plugin for it, doubt it though. Notepad++ only shows you the code, which is what most people are after with a code editor. :)

To view your page, open it up in a browser.

I see you were discussing Notepad++. It's good if the project is a single php file, but if it contains a hundred files, classes, modules, objects, then I would rather use NetBeans, I love it's intellisense, search, svn, and much more. So, I'll go for NetBeans :)

Best Regards.

I see you were discussing Notepad++. It's good if the project is a single php file, but if it contains a hundred files, classes, modules, objects, then I would rather use NetBeans, I love it's intellisense, search, svn, and much more. So, I'll go for NetBeans :)

Best Regards.

I'm currently using Notepad++ for a fairly big project. I admit, it's not the best for it. Takes a bit more time to get around, but I like it. I'm thinking of upgrading to something which manages projects a bit better. Have to see how I go..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...