Which PHP Editor do you think is the best? [v2]

Daniel0

Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vi(m)
    • Emacs
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • NetBeans
    • TextMate
    • Other
    • Aptana
    • UltraEdit
    • PHPStorm
    • Sublime
    • Code Lobster

I don't like code completion either (unless it's in my console, there it's handy if you only need snippets to test one-liners), simple syntax highlighting is all a proper editor needs imo.

I think that code completion comes in handy on big projects when used right. I use Netbeans and JavaDoc style comments and am really happy when the environment hints the methods an object has available, it quickens development with compex data extremely.

What are you referring to when you mention 'code completion'?  Intellisense?  Actual code generation (say, dumb getters and setters)?

I tend to like both, mainly because of my disabled hands.  Less typing = good for me.

The following scenarios are what I consider code completion (all of which, I hate):

1. Start typing "$foo" and it finishes it with "bar", resulting in "$foobar"
  2. Type a quote or start of like an html attribute and it puts in the closing quote e.g. type "<a href" and it finishes it to "<a href=''>"- this by far is the most annoying one IMO
  3. Type "<div>" and it includes a "</div>"

The following scenarios are what I consider code completion (all of which, I hate):

1. Start typing "$foo" and it finishes it with "bar", resulting in "$foobar"
  2. Type a quote or start of like an html attribute and it puts in the closing quote e.g. type "<a href" and it finishes it to "<a href=''>"- this by far is the most annoying one IMO
  3. Type "<div>" and it includes a "</div>"

2 & 3 will never happen using vim's autocompletion. And 1, well, vim gets its context from a few different locations depending on the keystroke you use to start completion. Generally, I only ever use the context of the current buffer. This meens variables will only be completed if they already exist in the current buffer.

Not that I use completion often anyway. :)

• 1 month later...

When I'm working with my php scripts, I use notepad++. And since I'm dealing with ETL all day at work, I use VIM for windows since it can open a text file with 900MB of file size. :happy-04: I think its just a matter of preference plus the things that you currently work on. Although I'd love to try emacs some time. LOL. ;D

• 5 weeks later...

PHPStorm is a joke unless you like unreadable rainbow colors.

Notepad ++ is clean and has plenty of plugins to support it.  Been using it since I was like 15

:facepalm:

You do realize that you can customize PhpStorm's appearance? Just like with every other IDE? I use a modified version of the ubiquitous Son of Obsidian theme for both PhpStorm and Visual Studio. Looks great.

:facepalm:

You do realize that you can customize PhpStorm's appearance? Just like with every other IDE? I use a modified version of the ubiquitous Son of Obsidian theme for both PhpStorm and Visual Studio. Looks great.

Yeah but I don't got time to edit/fiddle around some editing program, I just right click my files, notepad++ and go, no need to mess around with colorizing stuff.  Notepad ++ is already colorized every language onclick from the language dropdown menu :D

Plus PHPStorm is bloated :/ and costs $..

http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/buy/index.jsp

Edited by Monkuar

I agree, I don't think "what's the best" is an accurate question when it comes to code editors/IDE's.  What is a feature to one group can be a pain in the backside for another.  I don't think that there is a universal right answer, although there may be, I have used a pitiful number of applications to code in.  I do like it simple myself,  and have been prone to using PSPad for a number of yeas now.  I drifted into using eclipse for a little while, but setting up workspaces and projects was too much of a pain in the backside after a while and I just gave up.  I also couldn't be bothered with the load up time of starting eclipse every time I wanted to go in and do a bit of coding.  I have just recently started using an IDE/editor called CodeLobster, and I have to say, I'm quite liking it.  It doesn't suffer from PSpads single most infuriating habit of auto closing absolutely everything as soon as you open it. i.e. you type a double quote and instantly you have two on the page, one in front of the cursor, and one behind.  It drives me nuts.

Code Lobster also has an integrated debugger - which I haven't trued yet, but if you set up your webroot it lets you preview pages in a single click, without having to change window and hit f5.

Like other environments it lets you change the color theme in as few as 4 clicks (choices include all the popular editors), offering a preview of how each theme looks on each type of code (CSS/PHP/HTML/etc.).

All in, it's shaping up to be a pretty polished bit of software.  The basic version is free with the option to spend a nominal amount to upgrade to lite or a bit more to get pro. I was going to go into the differences but read through it and it looked like a rather shameless advert, so I deleted it and I'll leave it there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vim for me.

I started out using notepad++ (hated it). Moved to JEdit (loved it; but there was so much missing that I could probably have written plugins for in Java, but didn't have the time). Moved from JEdit to Eclipse (I initially loved Eclipse, but over time I've started to really just... want to write code and not be hampered by annoying IDE stuff and the bloat and everything just got on my nerves).

The reason why I use vim is because of it's customisability. I was sat with a developer who used vim a long while back and was surprised at how many plugins they'd written themselves, and how easy it was to write a plugin too. Now I keep my vim folder under source control and have exactly the same vim wherever I go.

I also never have to use a mouse again! CLI + Vim =  :happy-04:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm new to PHP I started my PHP coding using notepad then moved to DW I'm sticking with it for now but it's not a gr8 coding tool it's a designer tool so I looked around and then I found 2 programs that I like (used notepad ++ I still have it),

1. phpDesigner

2. phpStorm

out of these to what you guys recomend for a newbie like me who is looking at coding for a living kind of a thing I did installed both software in my Core i3 8gb laptop phpDesigner v8 seems to function bit faster than the phpStorm v7.

So can any guru in this PHP industry tell me what should I use.

Thank you.