Which PHP Editor do you think is the best? [v2]

Daniel0

Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP Editor do you think is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vi(m)
    • Emacs
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • NetBeans
    • TextMate
    • Other
    • Aptana
    • UltraEdit
    • PHPStorm
    • Sublime
    • Code Lobster

I think all of the people who say Notepad++ is the best PHP editor haven't had a lengthy play with a proper IDE like Netbeans... I used to use Notepad++ and think the same thing... when it come to using xDebug and doing other stuff I really couldn't go back from Netbeans :) As long as you have a chunky enough machine I don't think anything beats it really. Nice and clean UI as well.

I love the Ctrl + Alt + O for opening files... beats Ctrl + O then looking for your file and double clicking it :D

I also love the Right click > Go to Declaration on functions

• 2 weeks later...

I like Notepad++ because it works great, but also keeps it simple. It doesn't try to incorporate too much at once.. and honestly it was the first one I found when searching. so yeah.. I was going to look at NetBeans, but the website looks down right now? but I'll definitely try out Eclipse since I can access it's website

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

By the way... UltraEdit just came out for Mac OSX... this was my favorite editor on Windows... switching over to Mac, I ended up using Zend Studio and don't care for it much, but UltraEdit's file / server browser kind of sucks on Mac so I'm sticking with Zend for now :(

To be honest we can't go wrong with notepad++. Ultra fast, simple and has quite a few plugins to extend basic functionality.

I can't offer an unbiased opinion as I have only used a few editors - DW, notepad++ and Zend Studio 7,8.

I can't stand DW and I work with ZS on my main projects but mainly due to using Zend Framework so it all integrates very nicely. That, with project specific settings and sessions etc AND the incredibly customizable template code insertions makes it a breeze to develop in.

I might move onto DW again if the next trial version impresses me.

• 2 weeks later...

I might move onto DW again if the next trial version impresses me.

I doubt the next version will be anything impressive. How often do Adobe change anything in their products before adding a new number and selling it for the same price as the previous versions?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Soy usuario Windows/Linux. Uso muchos IDEs y Editores para programar, y Dreamweaver es lo mejor. No tiene padrote!

I'm Windows/Linux User. I've used so many IDEs and Editors, but Dreamweaver is th best!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not surprised that Notepad++ is the top contender, it's my favourite editor when strictly dealing with PHP.

I am surprised that there's no mention of the Expression Web product line, though I guess thoughts of FrontPage might scare people away. I use it at work, and it's a tremendous departure from the dangerous Frontpage culture. I'd say it's a great competitor to Dreamweaver, so long as you stick to either version 2 or 4. PHP even has some decent integration when compared to other more vanilla editors (after version 1)

I will have to check out this NetBeans phenomenon, seems to have quite a lot of supporters for a product developed in Java.

• 4 weeks later...

Crimson Editor, it uses many different colours to seperate different functions. Nice and easy to scan through files and find what your looking for. Notepad++ colours everything between heredocs with the same colour which gets quite irritating for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been using NetBeans for awhile but I thought I'd give JetBrains PHPStorm a try.  Its a very nice product, quick, excellent code completion and does double duty as a js/css IDE which I find myself using more and more lately.  I may actually pay for an IDE, didn't think I'd ever say that.  JetBrains made IntelliJ IDEA the Java IDE if anyone is familiar with it, good quality products out of that company.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using PHP Designer for a little while and think it works pretty well.  Was using notepad++ but not really a fan for php...think there are some addons I could get for it, but haven't looked into that yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Notepad++ hands down. It's simple, fast and gets the job done. The syntax highlighting is perfect and it even has heredoc support.

Someone said that Notepad++ has a list of PHP functions built-in, how do you take advantage of this?

I tried NetBeans but it seems to over complicate what I need to do. I just want to be able to open up a PHP file or make a new one and do my work. The project thing is cool, but I hate constricting my files into one folder. I'm use to working in a vBulletin environment, since that's what my web site largely consists of, so having the entire forums directory as a project doesn't work out. It has some nice features, no doubt, but it's just not for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...