SEO, not getting into googles results

thewooleymammoth

I created this website for a friend. However I cant get the articles to have decent results on google. I plan to rewrite the site in cakephp but I dont know when ill get the time. the website is www.mollyscannons.com. if anyone could take a look and tell me what to do to improve results i would appreciate it. THanks.

Well, overall, you have used mostly semantic tags. But you have a LOT of validation errors on your site. That is probably one problem. you also have paragraph text that is not in paragraph tags. And you should probably use datetime attributes on the article dates.

But when it comes to SEO, the two big dogs are content and incoming links. The site has to have good content that uses the keywords you are trying to get into the search engines regularly, and he site needs to be linked to from sites with similar content.

SEO is tied up with HTML, there is no doubt about that, but it is only one small part of SEO. You would probably be best looking at some SEO blogs and maybe even some SEO forums.

I love how SEO is basically a "secret" and no one can answer if p tags do or don't affect SEO.

I've never seen a degree in being an SEO expert, so I'm amazed people claim to be. I think good content, back-linking, use of title, and alt tags etc... and validation is pretty much all that can be done in my eyes. Someone reveal or dispel the myth of seo "secrets" please!

If your site is setup and is SEO friendly, plus the backlinks as suggested and has good content, it will take about 3-6 months for stuff to get a decent spot on Google Search. Page Rank does effect your search and how far up your results are.

But yea, part of the key is having good content as well as adding good content continually. To really help though you need to do some leg work and find some free directories that you can add your link to and contact other websites and do some link exchanges with them to help boost your PR.

I am no SEO expert, this is just what I have found from my expierence in working with websites and getting their results listed within the first 2 pages of a google search.

• 2 weeks later...

SEO is not "dark magic" or anything else spooky. All it takes it time and research to "reverse engineer" search rankings.

On to molly's cannons.

What is your site actually about?

The single most important on page optimzation factor is the title tag. The single most important page on your site is your home page. Especially since the majority of the 1k backlinks you have are pointing to it. Currently your title tag only has Mollys Cannon and home.

Do some keyword research around your subject and choose something you want to rank for and put it into your title tag with these tools:

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/

But you know the biggest issues your site has is duplicate content. It appears to me that you are featuring articles you like from other authors that appear somewhere first. Google filters out duplicate content. If you want the site ranked well, you need to be writing original content on a regular basis.

Nice site design by the way. I like the overall readability of the site. 

SEO is not "dark magic" or anything else spooky. All it takes it time and research to "reverse engineer" search rankings.

On to molly's cannons.

What is your site actually about?

The single most important on page optimzation factor is the title tag. The single most important page on your site is your home page. Especially since the majority of the 1k backlinks you have are pointing to it. Currently your title tag only has Mollys Cannon and home.

Do some keyword research around your subject and choose something you want to rank for and put it into your title tag with these tools:

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/

But you know the biggest issues your site has is duplicate content. It appears to me that you are featuring articles you like from other authors that appear somewhere first. Google filters out duplicate content. If you want the site ranked well, you need to be writing original content on a regular basis.

Nice site design by the way. I like the overall readability of the site.

very nice post atticus. This site is essentially a news site, the authors send the site owner the articles as well as sending the articles to many other sites (most of which are very conservative). So the doubles on other sites cant really be helped. Ill update the titles to help some more. Although the rankings have gone up tons from just changing the doctype and fixing some other html errors. Thanks for all the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.