Please help - 'undefeatable' ORA-1019 error!

roydude

Hi,

I maintain an internal website which accesses Oracle 8i databases using php 5.1.5 via the ora_* extensions. It's worked without issue for about 6 months, but last week started throwing ORA-1019 errors whenever a database connection was required  :o. The oracle help page for this is:

ORA-01019: unable to allocate memory in the user side

Cause: The user side memory allocator returned error.

Action: Increase the processes heap size or switch to the old set of calls.

On the web server, I can access oracle via SQLPlus or TOAD without a hitch, it's only a problem when php tries it (even if I execute the php code via the command line).

I've increased the heap size from 512k to 3072k (at 512 steps), rebooting the server each time and it's made no difference at all. I've even changed the virtual memory settings from the automatic 1534M to 3072M, again with no improvement.

I'm really struggling to come up with ideas - I've no idea what's changed between it working and it failing last week. I've got a memory monitor showing me that 70% of RAM is free (and cpu generally sits around 10%). Basically I can't even hazard a guess as to why it would complain about heap size - and I can access oracle via everything else, just not PHP all of a sudden  >:(.

Any help welcome - as you can imagine 1 week of inexplicable downtime for this area of the website with no progress at all is a bit woesome!  :(

(Before you say it - switching to a newer version of Oracle isn't an option ... and wasn't a problem until last week  ;))

Well we doubled the size of RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb to no avail - still getting the 01019 heap memory issue!

I know that increasing RAM doesn't necessarily increase the heap, but I was hoping it'd cut down on hard page swaps, maybe with a knock-on effect to the heap ...

Anyway, this thread's getting a bunch of hits with no suggestions - I'm now only left with the option of rebuilding the server (without knowing if this will happen again!), so if anyone has any ideas please post 'em!  :shrug:

FINALLY SOLVED!!!

Okay - so in case anyone's stuck on this ...

I noticed that the main PATH environment variable on the server contained paths to some applications I didn't need. I tidied the PATH environment variable up to be as clean as possible, pointing only to what I knew I needed (in the order I wanted it to look in). booted the server and hey presto it worked!!!  :D

I'm now documenting the heck out of what the setup of the server is and I'll be monitoring any path changes!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.