Mind Blowing Hyperrealistic Sculptures

nrg_alpha

Try having a look at the "super models" when they aren't wearing make up, fancy clothes and haven't been fixed in Photoshop... Yeah, suddenly not so special anymore.

I don't bother. "Supermodels" don't interest me. I'm more into the girls in my life that look naturally stunning. There aren't that many, but they're still amazing

And by "naturally" I mean "photoshop deficient"

Ok, maybe I'm missing the point, but those sculptures are pretty f'ing ugly. Why would you want to make something so ugly look so real?

I think you are indeed missing the point. These sculptures (which, imo are incredible feats of artistic execution) mimic normal people in normal circumstances. Sorry they aren't playboy models. Look around you.. unless you live in the playboy mansion, life is 'ugly'.

Well, even The Matrix portrays the ugly sides of life: war, greed, deception, betrayal, etc.

I can't remember what his name is (and I can't be bothered to look it up), but there is this one dude who betrays the others because he wants to get back into the Matrix so he can get the nice stuff. "Getting the nice stuff" is a powerful motivator and that makes "the ugly" and how people react to it and deal with it an interesting object of study in itself.

Well, yeah that might be nice, but if there are no ugly people, there are no beautiful people either. A person looks good because he/she looks good relative to the majority of other people. So you might find it nice that you scored this really hot chick, but without any contrast you would've just scored an ordinary girl which makes you ordinary in that respect as well.  Being ordinary gives no rush. Woo... I'm an ordinary person! Yes!

Kind of like yin and yang if you wish.

It applies to virtually everything that is related to motivation. You might work harder because you're saving up for that really nice TV, but if everything is ordinary you don't need more money thus you don't work harder.

People constantly perform actions that lead them away from their lives being "ugly" and that is for instance why, Garethp, you might want to portray something that is ugly. Consider this: When was the last time you read a book or watched a movie about an ordinary person doing ordinary things?

You're absolutely right of course. It's all relative. But, and I apologize for getting a bit graphic here, even if all woman had giant fat asses, a slightly smaller and firmer one just gives a totally different sensation. I realize preferring one over the other is highly subjective though.

[/odb modus]

I don't agree. You don't find a person attractive because other people do. You find them attractive because they physically appeal to you. If there was no contrast, you would still be quite happy because you scored with a chick that was quite attractive. Admittedly, there is an ego boost that comes along with the knowledge that she chose you, but that's not the entirety of it. It's a combination of her choosing you, and her being physically attractive.

But, and I apologize for getting a bit graphic here, even if all woman had giant fat asses, a slightly smaller and firmer one just gives a totally different sensation.

If all women had giant fat asses, there is no way you could have experienced the smaller and firmer ass so you couldn't possibly tell if you prefer one or the other; you wouldn't even know there was an alternative.

I don't agree. You don't find a person attractive because other people do. You find them attractive because they physically appeal to you. If there was no contrast, you would still be quite happy because you scored with a chick that was quite attractive. Admittedly, there is an ego boost that comes along with the knowledge that she chose you, but that's not the entirety of it. It's a combination of her choosing you, and her being physically attractive.

That is not what I said.

If you have only ever been exposed to beautiful people (by your metrics) the word beautiful has no meaning. Beautiful is a part of a scale. A scale requires some points to be higher and others to be lower. If everybody look completely alike it doesn't make sense talking about find a person attractive or unattractive. You need to be exposed to people who are better/worse looking before you can determine to what degree you find someone attractive.

Similarly, if everybody else have $1000 and you have $100000 then you are rich because you've got a lot more money than everybody else do. Now suppose we give everybody else $99000 (doesn't matter where they come from) so they'll have as much money as you. Now you're no longer rich even though your wealth remains unchanged.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.