What do you think of the new look of these forums?

smerny

What do you think of the new look of these forums?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new look of these forums?

• Want the old one back
    • Like the new one
    • Doesn't matter

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. The mod we used isn't compatible. I'll have to fix it first.

I've been messin around with it awhile... for too long actually.

Here's my progress.

Really, the ONLY thing left to do now is compile it into a mod/package which will be the most PITA (considering how well SMF really updated everything.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dan, is the in-forum bookmarking mod compatible with this version? If so, could we have that re-installed (no rush of course, as I'm sure there are are others issues to deal with when transitioning to a new forum version)? I'm not sure about the others, but I certainly made extensive use of it.

Is it just me or? When you copy code from a block and paste into an IDE it pastes as a single line rather than the formatted syntax. The old forum used to work fine.

No, it's just not you. One workaround is to first paste into an application that recognizes formatting, such as MS Word. You can then copy out of word and into another application and the line-breaks will be there.

I've always thought an exclusive custom set of phpfreak smilies would be nice.

How fortunate that we do have an exclusive custom set of smilies then :)

Eh? Apart from the RTFM I honestly couldn't have told the difference. Stylistically I like how they're drawn a lot but they don't intuitively pertain to php a great deal (again, aside from RTFM).

You cannot tell the difference between :) and smiley.gif or :D and cheesy.gif?

Eh? Apart from the RTFM I honestly couldn't have told the difference. Stylistically I like how they're drawn a lot but they don't intuitively pertain to php a great deal (again, aside from RTFM).

On that note...what exactly do you think a "php" smiley should look like?  Like a normal :) how would you make that look like a "php" smiley?

On that note...what exactly do you think a "php" smiley should look like?  Like a normal :) how would you make that look like a "php" smiley?

Ohh, I think I know what he means by php smiley.. he probably means: php_smiley-01.gifNay for either one IMO.

@webmaster1, just be clear on the differences, note that the smilies in Dan's post wasn't the 'older' ones (these must have been included within the forum upgrade I presume? So SMF went from crappy to semi-crappy default smilies then...)

Look here to see what the then current ones looked like (there is a comparative screen shot showing 4 old ones, and my revisions of those - this was the thread that started it all... Hmmm.. I wonder out loud if PugJr still hates the newer ones  ;) ).

To clarify, I can deduce the difference between the smiley sets alright but as nrg_alpha has elucidated, I'm commenting more on availability of 'php relevant' smilies.

Though it's not something I've actually seen in practice (until nrg_alpha's preceding post) here are a few design elements off the top of my head:

• stereotype: php newb with big anime eyes, batting eyelids with a soother in mouth or licking a lolipop
  • stereotype: php nerd wearing glasses, bucked teeth, side creased hair
  • stereotype: contemporary hacker wearing square glasses, goatee and bluetooth head peace, talking and/or eyes shiftily looking left to right
  • stereotype: php god: white long hair and beard, beard flowing in wind, wise old face
  • stereotype: php dunce: smiley wearing dunce hat with php written on it

• concept: coding stalemate: smiley with bloodshot eyes, one eye twitching
  • concept: boiling point: smiley screaming in fury and shooting self in head or bashing head with keyboard
  • concept: thanks: a humbled and gracious smiley repeatedly bowing in gratitude
  • concept: pebmac: arrow pointing to profiled smiley sitting on chair facing a monitor
  • concept: using code tags!: smiley being sandwiched between opened and closed code tags
  • concept: do that using server side!: smiley swapping out a sign saying 'client' for 'server'
  • concept: sql/databasing: smiley next to standard databasing icon

These are just a few rough examples. At the end of the day it's trivial but nuances like these always stick out in my mind.

To clarify, I can deduce the difference between the smiley sets alright but as nrg_alpha has elucidated, I'm commenting more on availability of 'php relevant' smilies.

Though it's not something I've actually seen in practice (until nrg_alpha's preceding post) here are a few design elements off the top of my head:

• stereotype: php newb with big anime eyes, batting eyelids with a soother in mouth or licking a lolipop
  • stereotype: php nerd wearing glasses, bucked teeth, side creased hair
  • stereotype: contemporary hacker wearing square glasses, goatee and bluetooth head peace, talking and/or eyes shiftily looking left to right
  • stereotype: php god: white long hair and beard, beard flowing in wind, wise old face
  • stereotype: php dunce: smiley wearing dunce hat with php written on it

• concept: coding stalemate: smiley with bloodshot eyes, one eye twitching
  • concept: boiling point: smiley screaming in fury and shooting self in head or bashing head with keyboard
  • concept: thanks: a humbled and gracious smiley repeatedly bowing in gratitude
  • concept: pebmac: arrow pointing to profiled smiley sitting on chair facing a monitor
  • concept: using code tags!: smiley being sandwiched between opened and closed code tags
  • concept: do that using server side!: smiley swapping out a sign saying 'client' for 'server'
  • concept: sql/databasing: smiley next to standard databasing icon

These are just a few rough examples. At the end of the day it's trivial but nuances like these always stick out in my mind.

I will be doing another round of smilies (no eta at the moment though). Some of your suggestions could be already found (more or less) in the current collection.

For example:

stereotype: php nerd wearing glasses, bucked teeth, side creased hair =  :geek:  (ok, he doesn't have greasy hair, but over all, close enough).

concept: boiling point: smiley screaming in fury and shooting self in head or bashing head with keyboard =  :suicide:  (ok, so he's not screaming in fury AND shooting.. but you get the idea).

concept: using code tags!: smiley being sandwiched between opened and closed code tags =  :code_tags::php_tags::code_php_tags:  (so instead of sandwitching between signs, simply holding up signs).

Good suggestions all in all. When the time comes, we'll revisit this issue and get a pool of suggestions and go from there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.