PHP e-mail/sms script

Goose

I don't really know enough about the whole sitatuon to effectively find information on this so hopefully someone can start to push me in the right direction. I will explain the situation first and then some solutions I think might work.

[b]What I want my service to do:[/b]
I send a text message on my cell phone to my website, my website processes the text message, then sends me back a response with the results of the text message request.

[b]What I know how to do already:[/b]
I can do everything in the above statement except for sending my website a text message. So I can pdp the processing and do the reply back to my cell phone, just not the initial request.

[b]Purposed solutions:[/b]
I was thinking that maybe I can send a message to a specific e-mail acount (is this possible?) and then maybe PHP can monitor that specific inbox for messages and then when a text message appears start the processing.

Also I thought there might be a web service out there that might take my text message and forward it to something for me.

Like I stated at the beginning of this post, I am not exactly sure what to search for in order to make this all happen. I also understand that this isn't a wholey PHP solution. What I am really wondering is, can PHP monitor an inbox? Any information would be great. Thanks.

It has been done before

There was a company ages ago which allowed people to Send and received text messages

I think what they done, was had Several SPECIAL numbers owned, then from the Phone Server (like mail server, but phones) everything would be processed.

This company has now closed down, and I do not know off any other companies simular.

I am not sure if with new security it cant be done, or if it was a cost thing or what.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.