innoDB fulltext search?

chico1st

I have all innoDB tables but i need to do a fulltext search, I have search and read a lot but all of them need a FULLTEXT INDEX which i would create by going like this:

CREATE FULLTEXT INDEX full_index ON `news`(
  `name` ,
  `abstract` ,
  `fulltext`
  );

but i get this error: 'The used table type doesn't support FULLTEXT indexes '

is there an innoDB equivalent or have I destroyed all my chances of searching?
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Nope, no equivalent yet -- but they keep talking about it.  There are some non-standard engines that do support it, but I've never used them in a production environment.

Of course, there are always way around it -- like keeping these fields, or a copy of them, in a MyISAM table.

if i change from innoDB to myIsam what will change? will I have to modify my code?

ive looked into replication and i dont think i want to deal with that

the speed of my inserts/updates really doesnt matter to me because i have very low traffic but i keep
hearing the word reliable thrown around, which is important.. i dont want my db's dieing on me.

however i feel like reliability means something different in the database
world.. just because that seems to be the trend :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.