URL routes. Dynamic or harcoded

coder_

Hor the last couple of weeks, my colleague and are in a discussion about framework's url routing. What do you think, which is better way to do the job. Dynamicaly checking route for for existing module/controller/action with no predefined routes or "hardcoded" route setting like it's done in zend framework.

I know that both ways have their pros and cons, but i want to know other side. Other opinion.

I noticed that every known framework uses the second, defined url route way. Where you directlly specify all application's routes.

<?php

$route = new Route('route_name', '/url/route/:some_variable', array('controller' => 'url', 'action' => 'route'));

No, ZF does not use named routes only (unfortunately). There's the implied, unnamed route. Named routes (I wouldn't call them "hardcoded") have the advantage of some decoupling. You can change the routing and keep the handle, not having to change any controllers or views.

No, ZF does not use named routes only (unfortunately). There's the implied, unnamed route. Named routes (I wouldn't call them "hardcoded") have the advantage of some decoupling. You can change the routing and keep the handle, not having to change any controllers or views.

Ok, i know that zf has the ability of using unnamed routes, and thanks for the correction.

But, what i would likt to hear from you is what way do like to implement. Named (predefined) or unnamed routing?

shouldn't this have been posted in application design?

i'm in the process of writing my own framework...i know it's not good to reinvent the wheel but i'm just not happy with the way most frameworks in PHP are implemented.

but yeah, i would say i prefer named routes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.