Whats the best linux distro for me?

PugJr

I most likely will be using a Linux OS soon and might as well find out which is the best OS for my system.

CPU: 2.12ghz intel 32 bit.

Video card: 9200 ATI (Although GPU shouldn't matter at all)

RAM: DDR2 1 GB

Motherboard has some issues with bios memory, meaning it forgets alot which hopefully won't matter for a linux OS.

The computer will be used only as a website server, possibly up to 100 requests (Or whatever its called when someone refreshes on a webpage) a second. These statistics are based on my current Vista OS. I assume I'll be getting higher results in a Linux OS.

I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with a Linux OS and I also have little to no experience with a command prompt (Used DOSBOX a few times to run old DOS games), but I'm not exactly incapable of learning but at the same time I don't want to spend a week setting it up.

Also the OS must be able to run MySQL/PHP but from what I understand they all should be able to support it. This could be a stupid question but preferably an OS that can run MySQL 5.0.3 or later and PHP 5.0 or later. As well I would prefer it to be able to run Apache while being in a log-in screen as like what a Windows OS can do.

So mostly an OS that doesn't have any issues with my hardware and an OS that is effective yet not too complicated.

Although I don't even have to necessarily use a Linux OS and could stick with MS as I have like every single piece of software they ever made in the last 3 years, but PHP/MySQL is native to Linux so I would assume it would run more effective.

I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with a Linux OS and I also have little to no experience with a command prompt (Used DOSBOX a few times to run old DOS games), but I'm not exactly incapable of learning but at the same time I don't want to spend a week setting it up.

Ubuntu Server it is then!

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-server

There official download place looks like its 64 bit.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/

Here we have a download that is 32 bit and Server Install which is 9.10 Ubuntu, but what exactly does karmic mean? Not sure if that has some meaning I'm unaware about.

Do you have a recommended version to download?

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to run this as a workstation, I would agree with Ubuntu.  You might also want to consider Gentoo, which takes a fundamentally different viewpoint from most other distros, in that it seeks to compile everything rather than go with pre-built packages.  You will no doubt learn an enormous amount from either distro, and they both have excellent community support.  It's probably worth saying that Ubuntu is based on Debian. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.