Book recommendations (not computer related)

pixy

Read any great books lately? I'm not looking for suggestions as far as PHP or other computer-related topics. Just good books. :)

I've been really interested in philosophy and greek literature lately, but any recommendations would be great. I'm on a quest for knowledge.

As for my recommendations, I've recently read:
"The Art of War" - Sun Tsu
"The Alchemist" - Paul Coelho

And I'm currently plugging through "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy and -trying- to order this book about Occam's Razor. Amazon is being a pain, though.

I also recommend Harry Potter books for anyone looking for an easy, yet imageinately thought provoking read.

I've ready several books by Terry Goodkind. He's an amazing writer, even if his stories get a bit dicey.

[quote author=effigy link=topic=105131.msg419818#msg419818 date=1156221926]
I typically enjoy anything by the following:

[list]
[*]Mahatma Gandhi
[*][b]Carl Jung[/b]
[*]Thich Nhat Han
[*]Bill Watterson
[*]Alan Watts
[*]Ralph Waldo Emerson
[/list]
[/quote]
That guy has a lot of interesting beliefs about the human mind. It's absolutely fascinating.

I wouldn't expect it, but have any of you heard of the Argus Apocraphex? Supposedly it's a really rare manuscript, but I'm still doing a lot of research on it to decide what I think about it.

[quote]
That guy has a lot of interesting beliefs about the human mind. It's absolutely fascinating.
[/quote]

Agreed. Especially so, considering that two of his biggest interests were dreams and symbolism.

[quote]
I wouldn't expect it, but have any of you heard of the Argus Apocraphex?
[/quote]

I have not. Care to tell more?

Another author that has caught my attention lately, although I've yet to read any of his books, is [url=http://www.erichoffer.net/]Eric Hoffer[/url].

[quote author=effigy link=topic=105131.msg420437#msg420437 date=1156303083]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Yeah, I've been learning a lot about it in my search for the AA.

[quote author=effigy link=topic=105131.msg420437#msg420437 date=1156303083]
Agreed. Especially so, considering that two of his biggest interests were dreams and symbolism.

[quote]
I wouldn't expect it, but have any of you heard of the Argus Apocraphex?
[/quote]

I have not. Care to tell more?

Another author that has caught my attention lately, although I've yet to read any of his books, is [url=http://www.erichoffer.net/]Eric Hoffer[/url].
[/quote]
Well, this band I listen to has been constantly encouraging us (the fans, basically) to find it. We've been doing loads of research and find it mentioned in loads of places. But we still don't know much about it. Right now we're looking into Egypt for answers, but the name is greek. Arugs = a monster with 100 eyes, which was a steadfast guard who kept a few eyes open during sleep. Apocraphex comes from the word "apocrypha" which means a hidden text.
http://thirtysecondstomars.emiforums.com/index.php?showtopic=295195&hl=
You can read our search there. The last 10 pages have been particularly fruitful. :) If you take the time to read the whole topic--it feels like your brain will explode. but it's all part of the journey, right?

I'll check that guy out! It sounds interesting.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.