nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:33 AM

:) hi all

i am about to recreate a big relational database in mysql, i hav been told about innodb, i started creating the tables in phpMyAdmin, everythings fine but theres no options for creating relations, it also says a small error,

Error
The additional Features for working with linked Tables have been deactivated. To find out why click here.

i click there and then it says

PMA Database ... not OK[ Documentation ]
General relation features Disabled

the documentation link takes me here

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb'] string 
Starting with version 2.3.0 phpMyAdmin offers a lot of features to work with master / foreign - tables. To use those as well as the bookmark feature you need special tables with a predefined structure, which we explain below. 

See the Quick Install section in this document for a quick way of creating those tables. Also, if you are using a Windows server, read FAQ 1.23. 

If you are the only user of this phpMyAdmin installation, you can use your current database to store those special tables; in this case, just put your current database name in $cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb']. 

If you are setting up a multi-user phpMyAdmin installation, you will need to create a new database and setup special privileges, so, as superuser: 

create a new database for phpMyAdmin:
  CREATE DATABASE phpmyadmin;
Note that "controluser" must have SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE privileges on this database. Here is a query to set up those privileges (using "phpmyadmin" as the database name, and "pma" as the controluser):
  GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE ON phpmyadmin.* to 'pma'@'localhost'; 
do not give any other user rights on this database. 
enter the database name in $cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb']

i just need to get it sorted to start making relations

i do understand the documentation but before i do anything can somone give me some advice please, like what would u do, i am confused by the flatness of the interface of mysql lol.

Thanx alot guys
DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

#2 fenway

fenway
  • Staff Alumni
  • MySQL Si-Fu / PHP Resident Alien
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:41 PM

I have no idea what any of that means.
Seriously... if people don't start reading this before posting, I'm going to consider not answering at all.

#3 nadeemshafi9

nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:44 AM

basicaly i have installed mysql server i know how to do most things but never made relationships fk innodb ect, i havent installed anything to do with innodb i am confused about innodb maybe u could talk alittle about were i can activate it or install it, phpmyadmin works fine i can do everything except make relations, phpmyadmin has a small message in each page saying,

The additional Features for working with linked Tables have been deactivated

PMA Database ... not OK[ Documentation ]
General relation features Disabled

so how do i activate basic relations ?
what is PMA database ?
what file is it ?
am i headed in the rright direction to start making links ?

thx for any feedback
DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

#4 fenway

fenway
  • Staff Alumni
  • MySQL Si-Fu / PHP Resident Alien
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

Well, SHOW ENGINES will tell you if InnoDB is installed correctly.  If not, change your my.cnf file -- but you'll have to check the refman for appropriate configuration options.  Otherwise, I don't know what PMA database is, or where it is. 
Seriously... if people don't start reading this before posting, I'm going to consider not answering at all.

#5 nadeemshafi9

nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:54 AM

i created the pmadb and relations table and bookmark table using the dump schemas in the documentation and specified the relations and bookmarks tables and the pmadb in the \wwwroot\phpMyAdmin\config.ini.php

i now have the interface for making relations in phpMyAdmin, i am gona try making some later and il post back.

thanks m8'sss
DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users