FK relations / enforcment

nadeemshafi9

:) hi all

i am about to recreate a big relational database in mysql, i hav been told about innodb, i started creating the tables in phpMyAdmin, everythings fine but theres no options for creating relations, it also says a small error,

[code]Error
The additional Features for working with linked Tables have been deactivated. To find out why click here. [/code]

i click there and then it says

[code]PMA Database ... not OK[ Documentation ]
General relation features Disabled [/code]

the documentation link takes me here

[code]$cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb'] string
Starting with version 2.3.0 phpMyAdmin offers a lot of features to work with master / foreign - tables. To use those as well as the bookmark feature you need special tables with a predefined structure, which we explain below.

See the Quick Install section in this document for a quick way of creating those tables. Also, if you are using a Windows server, read FAQ 1.23.

If you are the only user of this phpMyAdmin installation, you can use your current database to store those special tables; in this case, just put your current database name in $cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb'].

If you are setting up a multi-user phpMyAdmin installation, you will need to create a new database and setup special privileges, so, as superuser:

create a new database for phpMyAdmin:
  CREATE DATABASE phpmyadmin;
Note that "controluser" must have SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE privileges on this database. Here is a query to set up those privileges (using "phpmyadmin" as the database name, and "pma" as the controluser):
  GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE ON phpmyadmin.* to 'pma'@'localhost';
do not give any other user rights on this database.
enter the database name in $cfg['Servers'][$i]['pmadb'] [/code]

i just need to get it sorted to start making relations

i do understand the documentation but before i do anything can somone give me some advice please, like what would u do, i am confused by the flatness of the interface of mysql lol.

Thanx alot guys

basicaly i have installed mysql server i know how to do most things but never made relationships fk innodb ect, i havent installed anything to do with innodb i am confused about innodb maybe u could talk alittle about were i can activate it or install it, phpmyadmin works fine i can do everything except make relations, phpmyadmin has a small message in each page saying,

[quote]The additional Features for working with linked Tables have been deactivated[/quote]

[quote]PMA Database ... not OK[ Documentation ]
General relation features Disabled [/quote]

so how do i activate basic relations ?
what is PMA database ?
what file is it ?
am i headed in the rright direction to start making links ?

thx for any feedback

Well, SHOW ENGINES will tell you if InnoDB is installed correctly.  If not, change your my.cnf file -- but you'll have to check the refman for appropriate configuration options.  Otherwise, I don't know what PMA database is, or where it is. 

i created the pmadb and relations table and bookmark table using the dump schemas in the documentation and specified the relations and bookmarks tables and the pmadb in the \wwwroot\phpMyAdmin\config.ini.php

i now have the interface for making relations in phpMyAdmin, i am gona try making some later and il post back.

thanks m8'sss

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.