Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

simcoweb

Trying to get 'IF' statement to work with query results

Ok, this should be simple. I've seen it a dozen times but can't find the right reference to it. I want to display a message if no results show from a database query. So.. 'IF' no results then 'display this message' ... 'ELSE' display this HTML for the results.

Here's my code snippet for this part of the script:

[code]mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die('Database has gone bye bye');
mysql_select_db($dbname) or die('Where oh where is that database');
$sql="SELECT * FROM 'members' WHERE 'name' = '$name'";
$results = mysql_query($sql);
$row = mysql_fetch_array($results);
//$num = mysql_num_rows($results);
$num_rows = mysql_result($results, 0, 0);
//start HTML code for display of profile
if ($num_rows == '0') {
echo "<font class='bodytext'>'We are sorry. That profile is unavailable at this time. Please select another.<br />";
} else {
echo <<<HTML[/code]

Getting this error:

[quote]Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home2/wwwxxxx/public_html/profile.php on line 10

Warning: mysql_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home2/wwwxxxx/public_html/profile.php on line 12[/quote]

OK... I'm confused as to why you aren't using mysql_num_rows().

so you would do:
[code]
mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die('Database has gone bye bye');
mysql_select_db($dbname) or die('Where oh where is that database');
$sql="SELECT * FROM 'members' WHERE 'name' = '$name'";
$results = mysql_query($sql);
$row = mysql_fetch_array($results);
// Change is here
$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($results);
//start HTML code for display of profile
if ($num_rows == 0) {
echo "<font class='bodytext'>'We are sorry. That profile is unavailable at this time. Please select another.<br />";
} else {
echo <<<HTML
[/code]

Hi: I tried that along with a few other combinations. I just took your code and pasted it over what I had. It displays the 'if' echo statement about the profile but also still displays these errors:

[quote]Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home2/wwwxxxx/public_html/profile.php on line 10

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home2/wwwxxxx/public_html/profile.php on line 12
'We are sorry. That profile is unavailable at this time. Please select another.[/quote]

View it at: [url=http://www.plateauprofessionals.com/profile.php]http://www.plateauprofessionals.com/profile.php[/url]

Try this for your query instead:

[code]
$sql="SELECT * FROM `members` WHERE `name` = '$name'";
[/code]

Hey, thanks for your posts. I referred to another file in my project and used this line:

[code]$sql=("SELECT * FROM members");[/code]

and it worked fine. No more error messages. Just a couple of other bugs to work out. Thanks for the help!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.