New gravity theory

mikesta707

Anyone interested in Physics? Well a Russian physicist recently created a new theory for gravity. Excerpt from beginning of article:

Was Newton right and Einstein wrong? It seems that unzipping the fabric of spacetime and harking back to 19th-century notions of time could lead to a theory of quantum gravity.

sauce: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=splitting-time-from-space

I read through that and thought it was pretty interesting. Maybe we can finally explain what the hell gravity is for a change. Opinions?

There is another theory that the world we see is actually a projected hologram by our senses which is sent to our consciousness to enjoy, but in reality were just a wave of energy. There is also a religion based on this in Hindu, called Maya. The world as illusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCLK2WwxIQU

Now if the universe is a hologram what is gravity really? It probably just as fake as matter.

Whatever matter is, it isn't made of matter.

Meh, if I wanted to learn about crazy theories I'll just research string theory :P

String theory is actually quite interesting. It just seems to be all over the place, but it's only a work in progress so I guess that's to be expected. There aren't people smart enough to solve the equations in string theory, so I'm not sure how that's going.. Of course none of this can be proven, that's why it's called theoretical physics. Theories like String Theory and Relativity are under theoretical physics because although they can't be proven they're based on proven physics, unlike these other theories keldorn is talking about.

I wanted to do 'In soviet russia...' joke, but... how do you know he's Russian? He's surname's seems Czech or Slovak to me, and he is said to be working at UC Berkeley

You know, I thought it said somewhere that he was Russian, but upon reading it again, it seems I was mistaken. Maybe I just assume all physicists are Russian for some reason... hmmm

and Yeah string theory IS interesting, and all that Jazz, but its fun to make fun of :D

I haven't read up string theory but I'll definitely check it out.  I love these crazy theories.  :P

Did you guys know that matter is 99.9999% empty space? If you compare an atom to a football stadium, its like a football (Nucleus) sitting in the middle of the stadium and a few golf balls moving around the stadium, its mostly vacuum.

What that reminds me of, is in video games, you ever find a bug where you slip threw a wall? Whats inside the wall? Nothing...

Slip threw the solid you see and you'll find nothing.  :idea:

But I remember many a times Where I fell through the wall/floor in halo. One time I fell through the sky... that was weird

Only sucky games do that, hey what a surprise, halo! ;)

Anyways, lets not get off topic!

I don't really pay much attention to anything that doesn't make sense to me. Personally, I don't really understand any of those theories so I just let them be. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.