Adobe AIR board?

No such thing exists, so when talking about non-fictitious things it must be implicitly understood that there is a context. Therefore, when someone says "air is invisible" it's logical to assume the person means "to me".

Natural languages cannot be correctly interpreted if everything is taken literally.

I could get all philosophical and mention language cannot be interpreted correctly (the paradoxical evaluation of what is "interpreting correctly", "literal" and "implied"), but I won't ;)

Not that any type of microscope powerful enough to view atoms even exists in the first place. The only way that we can actually generate images of atoms is through STMs, whose images aren't actually images of the atoms themselves but computer generated depictions based on data acquired.

Given sufficient magnification you would be able to see anything regardless of size. Just because a piece of technology doesn't exist doesn't mean it cannot exist.

Yes, of course, and I wasn't stating otherwise. I was just saying that at current we don't posses the the technology.

Actually, there is a practical hard limit -- magnification requires a lens to bring the image into focus, and that lens has to be smooth, or the resulting image will be fuzzy.  And you can't polish a lens to be infinitely smooth -- in fact, it's pratically impossible to focus x-rays at all, which have a wavelength on the order of magnitude of atomic resolution.  In my other life, I did years of graduate training to work around this exact problem -- it's a royal pain in the butt.

Atoms aren't infinitely small though. Try going back a couple of hundred years and try telling someone that in the future we'll have flying machines that can take us anywhere in the world in short amounts of time. Or try going back only 30 years and try telling someone that today, even children have computers, you can get some that only weigh a couple of kilograms but are still several orders of magnitudes more powerful than theirs and that 4 GB RAM is really cheap.

That's not to say I think we'll have the technology soon, within my lifetime or even within a couple of hundred years. For all I know, someone might make an ingenious discovery in a couple of decades that changes life as we know it.

The hard limit you're speaking of is the hard limit imposed by current technology and scientific theories. It's really difficult speaking about what we'll have in the future. If we knew that, it wouldn't belong in the future but today.

"Focusing light" is not a current scientific theory -- it's not going anywhere.

And yes, while polishing a mirror to 1 angstrom is a "technical limitation", it's almost not going anywhere. 

Like I said, it's a practical hard limit, not a theoretical one.

You do realise, that even if we had a device able to produce magnification large enough to see atoms (or more exactly: atomic nuclei), there's still problem of keeping them still within a field of view? This might be less of problem with solids, but air...

Not that any type of microscope powerful enough to view atoms even exists in the first place. The only way that we can actually generate images of atoms is through STMs, whose images aren't actually images of the atoms themselves but computer generated depictions based on data acquired.

Given sufficient magnification you would be able to see anything regardless of size. Just because a piece of technology doesn't exist doesn't mean it cannot exist.

Yes, of course, and I wasn't stating otherwise. I was just saying that at current we don't posses the the technology.

Actually, there is a practical hard limit -- magnification requires a lens to bring the image into focus, and that lens has to be smooth, or the resulting image will be fuzzy.  And you can't polish a lens to be infinitely smooth -- in fact, it's pratically impossible to focus x-rays at all, which have a wavelength on the order of magnitude of atomic resolution.  In my other life, I did years of graduate training to work around this exact problem -- it's a royal pain in the butt.

I wasn't really agreeing with the fact that you can magnify an infinite amount, but rather that it would be possible to magnify enough to see atoms, eventually. I guess I should have made that clear.

Diameter of nuclei of Uranium is estimated at 1.6 × 10^−15 m. Shortest wavelength human eye can see is in range of 3.8 × 10^-7m. There's no way you can see it in visible light, as the wavelength itself is millions time larger than nucleus itself.

[edited]

Duh... took wrong end of visible spectrum. Not much difference though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.