"update" question

RyanSF07

Hello,

I have a table called "notes" and another table called "video."

I'd like to add a row to "video" called "video_notes" -- and then update those rows with data from the "notes" table.

"Notes" has 4 rows: id, user_id, video_id, and notes_text.

I exported the data from the table notes (sql export). The beginning reads:

INSERT INTO `notes` (`id`, `user_id`, `video_id`, `notes_text`) VALUES

(1, 1, 2, '"One buck" is slang for one dollar.).\r\n\r\n\r\n'),

and on and on and on...

The table "video" has many of these same rows, namely, user_id, and video_id.

I'm wondering if I can change "insert" to "update" on that sql and then import it into the "video" table (with new row "video_notes" created.)

Would this work:

"UPDATE video SET video.video_notes = '$video_notes_safe' WHERE video.video_id = video_id;

I've set up a test database to try this. All coaching appreciated.

thanks,

Ryan

What you're talking about are not rows, but columns. Quite important difference in DB slang.

Something like this should work

UPDATE video AS v INNER JOIN notes AS n ON v.video_id = n.video_id SET v.video_notes = n.notes_text

Why do you want to move these notes to video table though? This will allow you to only have one note per video, instead of having many-to-one relation.

Hi Mchl,

That worked -- thank you.

There is one issue maybe a "select distinct" type of command may fix. Please let me know. Here is the issue.

The problem I was having was as you noted before -- in some cases there is a many-to-one relationship. Several notes with the same video_id. They are accidental duplicates.

When I ran the command above in the cases where there are these accidental duplicates, the notes_text didn't transfer over. I assume it was because there were a couple instances of notes_text data with the same video_id.

Do you understand what I mean? Can it be modified to "in cases where there are several notes_text with the same video_id, select one and update." ?

OK. Got it. In that case -- one more question (thank you so much for your help!)

There are some cases where instead of exact duplicates, one instance of notes_text will be empty (but not null -- return character or something) and another instance of notes_text with the same video_id will indeed contain actual text.

Can the command be modified to say "select distinct where there is actual text" and insert that into v.video_notes?

Don't know if there is our not. Regardless you have been a huge help.

Sure. You could possibly even figure it out yourself ;)

UPDATE video AS v INNER JOIN (SELECT DISTINCT video_id, notes_text FROM notes WHERE notes_text IS NOT NULL) AS n ON v.video_id = n.video_id SET v.video_notes = n.notes_text

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.