Large set of data in small chunks, SELECT inquiries only, MySQL or SQLite?

ultrus

Hello,

I'm rendering a database that keeps track of the distance from every location in a map (5,000 locations - won't grow any bigger), to every location in a quick lookup table. It also keeps markers for every point in the trip in there.

The advatage is that it's FAST for the user now. The disadvantage is that I'm taking up about 1GB total of data. My hosting only allows 200MB per database, but gives 5GB of storage space. So, I'm thinking about using SQLite instead.

If I had lots of small SQLite db files (1 for each location), would there be any processing issues you can think of if people are simply SELECTing data from these files through my php scripts? There won't be any INSERTs or UPDATEs by the user.

Thanks for your input. :)

• 2 weeks later...

That's 25 million rows for something that can be calculated fairly cheaply if you've got lat/lon for each location.  What is the typical use case?  I know much more about PostGIS, but MySQL has spatial extensions that will should do all of this for you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.