Photo

Mastering Regular Expressions, Third Edition, is available.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 effigy

effigy
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

The Third Edition of Mastering Regular Expressions is available.

This third edition is 58 pages longer than the second edition, and now reaches 542 pages in length. The main changes from the second edition are a new, 48-page chapter on PHP, and a rewritten/expanded Java chapter taking into account the many java.util.regex changes between Java 1.4 and Java 1.5/Java 1.6.

Source: One of Jeffrey Friedl's Blog entries.

I own the Second Edition and consider it an invaluable resource.
Regexp | Unicode Article | Letter Database
/\A(e)?((1)?ff(?:(?:ig)?y)?|f(?:ig)?)\z/

#2 c4onastick

c4onastick
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:31 PM

I just bought the third edition, and I also love it. It's very well written and works well as a tutorial or reference. The author wrote the third edition specifically to expand on regex applications in PHP. I highly recommend it to any one.
Regex Tester::Unicode Regex::PHP Function List::MySQL 5.1
"Sorry sweetheart... but this all day sucker is down to the soggy white stick." -- Topper Harley

#3 rishiraj

rishiraj
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

I am beginner to regex,
can I start directly with 3rd version or I should first read the basics from other version.

#4 nafetski

nafetski
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

Editions aren't like sequels =)  It will have all the info from the 1st version, but will be more current/updated/support more languages.  You almost never want to buy an older edition of a book!
Dev Environment: Mac - OSX Snow Leopard / Eclipse / Kohana PHP Framework
Job: Sr Software Developer: (Large scale enterprise)
Notice:  Most of my forum posts I write on my iPhone while taking a dump.  This means that I don't test most of my code, and I might sound like I'm impatient...really I'm just busy punching a grumpy
Also: I've hit Google so many times it's asking for a divorce

#5 effigy

effigy
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:50 PM

I am beginner to regex, can I start directly with 3rd version or I should first read the basics from other version.

If you're going to do a lot of expressions, and serious ones at that, I'd get the latest book. If you're just learning to do a few here and there, I would start with web tutorials.
Regexp | Unicode Article | Letter Database
/\A(e)?((1)?ff(?:(?:ig)?y)?|f(?:ig)?)\z/

#6 lordfrikk

lordfrikk
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

I found the book in electronic format (.chm), someone maybe interested so I thought I'll share it with others:

*url removed*

#7 clearstatcache

clearstatcache
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 159 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:29 AM

I found the book in electronic format (.chm), someone maybe interested so I thought I'll share it with others:

where can i find that copy??
*** Real men don't use backups, they post their stuff on a public ftp server and let the rest of the world make copies ... ***

#8 quecoder

quecoder
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:50 AM

What is better ?
http://www.regular-expressions.info/
or this book ?

I want to be an expert in RegEx :)

#9 allenskd

allenskd
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

Thought I kick in and post a little something for those who are still thinking on buying this.

This is my first regular expressions book and I absolutely don't regret buying it. The examples are well explained and covers a lot basic stuff for starters (like me, although I have fiddled with regex before but right now I learned so much in the first chapter that it's just amazing what it can do). I also think having buying the book is pretty much an advantage, for example minor issues like the internet going down for hours could hold your progress pretty much a lot.

I don't believe I'm going to be doing a lot of regular expressions (at the moment), yet I feel it adds up to my current skills and it will possibly have a better use in other areas (or other programming languages).

Oh yea, another thing is that the third version covers PHP more. I read in the introduction that second edition and first didn't had anything about PHP, so please be sure you buy the right one (THIRD EDITION).

Cheers!

#10 cute_girl

cute_girl
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

hmmm lets try, i also want to be 100% in regex......  :-\

#11 nrg_alpha

nrg_alpha
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationCanada's Capital

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

If you are going to be strictly doing regex in PHP only, don't bother. As of PHP 6, the support for POSIX will be pretty much dropped in favor PCRE (I'm not sure if this means regex stuff will stop working in PHP.. but I would start converting any page expressions you have to Perl compatible... PCRE seems more robust and refined.

Cheers,

NRG
"Build a man a fire, you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
PHP = One cool palindrome!

#12 maplist

maplist
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info

#13 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

Old post, but it is a sticky.... Just got this book as an xmas present.  I'm excited :)

p.s.-

If you are going to be strictly doing regex in PHP only, don't bother. As of PHP 6, the support for POSIX will be pretty much dropped in favor PCRE (I'm not sure if this means regex stuff will stop working in PHP.. but I would start converting any page expressions you have to Perl compatible... PCRE seems more robust and refined.

Cheers,

NRG

All of the preg_xxx functions are pcre...those aren't being dropped, are they?
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#14 nrg_alpha

nrg_alpha
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationCanada's Capital

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

All of the preg_xxx functions are pcre...those aren't being dropped, are they?

No, PCRE is becoming the standard, so they are (and will be retained) in current and future PHP versions.. POSIX fucntionality (ereg) is going to only be available via extension in PHP 6 and later. Great book by the way.. really helped me understand how general regex engines 'think'.. you will not be disappointed :) I've seen you posting within the regex forums, and you seem pretty comfortable and knolwegable, so it will be quite the nice transition for you I suspect.
"Build a man a fire, you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
PHP = One cool palindrome!

#15 lostnucleus

lostnucleus
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

I also love this book very easy to read  and had a fun while reading it ,everthing is so well explained .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users