Mastering Regular Expressions, Third Edition, is available.

effigy

The Third Edition of [url=http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/regex3/]Mastering Regular Expressions[/url] is available.

[quote]
This third edition is 58 pages longer than the second edition, and now reaches 542 pages in length. The main changes from the second edition are [b]a new, 48-page chapter on PHP[/b], and a rewritten/expanded Java chapter taking into account the many java.util.regex changes between Java 1.4 and Java 1.5/Java 1.6.
[/quote]
[b]Source:[/b] [url=http://regex.info/blog/2006-07-21/218]One of Jeffrey Friedl's Blog entries.[/url]

I own the Second Edition and consider it an invaluable resource.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote author=rishiraj link=topic=105245.msg723589#msg723589 date=1193141278]
I am beginner to regex, can I start directly with 3rd version or I should first read the basics from other version.
[/quote]

If you're going to do a lot of expressions, and serious ones at that, I'd get the latest book. If you're just learning to do a few here and there, I would start with web tutorials.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Thought I kick in and post a little something for those who are still thinking on buying this.

This is my first regular expressions book and I absolutely don't regret buying it. The examples are well explained and covers a lot basic stuff for starters (like me, although I have fiddled with regex before but right now I learned so much in the first chapter that it's just amazing what it can do). I also think having buying the book is pretty much an advantage, for example minor issues like the internet going down for hours could hold your progress pretty much a lot.

I don't believe I'm going to be doing a lot of regular expressions (at the moment), yet I feel it adds up to my current skills and it will possibly have a better use in other areas (or other programming languages).

Oh yea, another thing is that the third version covers PHP more. I read in the introduction that second edition and first didn't had anything about PHP, so please be sure you buy the right one (THIRD EDITION).

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=cute_girl link=topic=105245.msg946909#msg946909 date=1216875386]
hmmm lets try, i also want to be 100% in regex......  :-\
[/quote]

If you are going to be strictly doing regex in PHP only, don't bother. As of PHP 6, the support for POSIX will be pretty much dropped in favor PCRE (I'm not sure if this means regex stuff will stop working in PHP.. but I would start converting any page expressions you have to Perl compatible... PCRE seems more robust and refined.

Cheers,

NRG

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Old post, but it [i]is[/i] a sticky.... Just got this book as an xmas present.  I'm excited :)

p.s.-
[quote author=nrg_alpha link=topic=105245.msg956113#msg956113 date=1217848966]
[quote author=cute_girl link=topic=105245.msg946909#msg946909 date=1216875386]
hmmm lets try, i also want to be 100% in regex......  :-\
[/quote]

If you are going to be strictly doing regex in PHP only, don't bother. As of PHP 6, the support for POSIX will be pretty much dropped in favor PCRE (I'm not sure if this means regex stuff will stop working in PHP.. but I would start converting any page expressions you have to Perl compatible... PCRE seems more robust and refined.

Cheers,

NRG
[/quote]

All of the preg_xxx functions are pcre...those aren't being dropped, are they?

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=105245.msg1068936#msg1068936 date=1229640060]
All of the preg_xxx functions are pcre...those aren't being dropped, are they?
[/quote]

No, PCRE is becoming the standard, so they are (and will be retained) in current and future PHP versions.. POSIX fucntionality (ereg) is going to only be available via extension in PHP 6 and later. Great book by the way.. really helped me understand how general regex engines 'think'.. you will not be disappointed :) I've seen you posting within the regex forums, and you seem pretty comfortable and knolwegable, so it will be quite the nice transition for you I suspect.

• 9 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.