PHP Coding Ideas

steelmanronald06

Okay I am a bit confused about this. I work in the telecommunications office at my school and I have met a php programmer in person. Best of all, he is kin to me!  Before going any futher I better explain something. I am from Oklahoma.  Us hicks say 'kin'. Kin is the same as saying we are related! Now that that is out of the way :-D

This dude developed like this kick-ass database thingy. It was kinda like phpmyadmin or something, but it was all ajax. It was f'ing amazing! So he wants to see my skills, so I need to develop something. Only question is, what?  You have hundreds of CMS's, BBS's, Forums, etc.

So please post suggestions of stuff you would like to see developed using PHP, MySQL.  The idea MUST NOT require any AJAX, but be able to add AJAX if I so choose (I have yet to learn AJAX).  So please list your suggestions.  I don't much want to build a content management system, you have nuke for that. And there are to many forums out there to name.  What is something you would use? I once made a web monitoring system, just for fun.  It was pretty cool, but there are hundreds of them that were better than mine could ever be (hybodus).

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

DISCLAIMER/COPYRIGHT:  All ideas posted means that I or anyone who sees them will be able to develop them.  If you want to keep your idea a secret so that only you will develop it, don't post it!

Uh, lol, what ???  That lost me. I got invoice and system.  I am not much of a business man. Sounds cool, sounds like it would be fun to develop, but what is all that project creation/pricing management/quotations thingy?

My bad, should have exxpanded on that. If people kinda wouldn't mind explaining a bit of what their idea is so stupid people like me can catch on to your line of thought and we don't run with the idea and trash it.  I mean I know we should take it where we can, but I would like to understand your thought patterns on the idea...mainly, because I am dumb when it comes to stuff like that  :-D

One thing my personal site is missing is a fast way to get and create quotes for projects.  I then need a way to automate replies to quotes (with a full, detailed response).  Once I get a job, I have a primative way to label the type of work I'm doing, how many units of work I've done and then a price is pulled from my database and a little math is performed to create an invoice.  This then sends an email to the user with an invoice number that they can use to get into my billing system and view their invoice.  They they print it out, drop a check in an envelope, sign and copy the invoice and mail it back to me.

That's how some handle it.  Others pay me electronically, but that's a whole other story. 

My problem right now is that it's only semi-dynamic.  If I wanted to create a project code/price on the fly, I can't as the system stands. 

I also don't currently have a way to provide status and tracking on projects to my clients.  It'd be nice to have a system where I could enter comments and give the user a "tracking" link to their project to view the progress of my work.

I hope that makes a little more sense. 

As another project, it might be nice to create a web-based CVS type project.  That would be kinda cool.

WoW! Advanced. I love both of those ideas.  It is something that would help the online community and would push my skills to the limit and beyond.  I just have a few questions about the first one.

So basically what you want is an admin interface where you go in and do something like:

Project Code: 001
Project Name: Web Template
Price Per Unit: $100
Price: $2500

And then a place where you define a customer:

Customer Name:  John Doe (Why is it that everyone uses John Doe as a dummy name? lol. I bet  it pisses the real one off)
Project Code: 001
Customer Email: email@domain.com
Customer Mailing Address:
            555 West Lane
            Chesternut, Utopia 77488
Units Finished: 0
Units Unpaid: 0

And then you would need a place to say, well I have finished 1 unit so you go in and change the 0 to 1 and it automatically creates an invoice and adds in the price based on how many units are complete.  Granted there will be a place where you can say, okay I completed a unit so click that button and it will update the row and change that 0 units finished to 1 (same for units unpaid) and so forth.  And then finally when you complete so many units, that way in case you complete 2 units before billing, you can push a button that says Send Invoice and it will send an invoice with the units unpaid as the price owed.  When they send you the money you can push a button that says Payed Up or something and it will set units unpaid to 0 but your Units Finished will always just go up until you finish.  Or am I WAY off?

something I've yet to see for free (maybe i just over looked it). Some kind of system that can recieve and read text messages. Kind of enabling a "messanger" without needing a messanger on your phone.

I have a plan where I get unlimited text messages but I'd prefer to use them for messangers. If you could come up with a script that could do any of the following, i'd probably go out of my way to buy it:

1. Read incoming text messages for individual users. Each user has a "number" like an Id in the database. When a text message comes in, that user gets it online. That way one can be online and chat with one through text message.

2. If you could do the same but allow it to send the messages through AIM, YAHOO, MSN, ICQ, GMAIL IM, etc. (i don't see that being REALLY possible though lol).

Just some ideas. May be too much. it is for me lol.

Jocka, I use Trillian right now on my desktop and I can send/recieve messages from my IM people through my phone.  I think that answers #2.  They can get IMs through their phone from me if I add their phone to my buddy list.

I don't know lol. I didn't know trillian did that?.. i'll have to get that now. Umm, you could create a script to search a page, site, server, ftp server, mail server, etc.. for security holes.. I honestly don't think it could be THAT hard and probably wouldn't take long to do.. but it'd be worth it. I could use it. I hate constantly making sure all my stuff is secure. I'd rather look at a page and let it tell me what i need to do. :-P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.