How can i make a Timer for my Database.....

DarrenReeder

Hello... i am currently making a website that is a browser game and im making a feature where you can only do somthing once every 2 minutes (120 seconds)... I need to know how i can make a timer so after u done somthing (im using a Form ) it sets a 2 minute timer..

im asuming you would have 1 field which is default at 0 and wen u have went to the next page with the form it will set this to 120 or somthing and if go on the page and that fied is > 0 it doesnt let u see it...

but i need to know how i make it so that Field goes down 1 a second?? or am i doing this totally wrong?

Instead of setting it to 120, use a timestamp instead. Setting the database field to time()+60*2 would put that timestamp 2 minutes in the future, then when you check it, if the current time is less than that time stamp the user cannot re-post.

EDIT:

I am not sure what function you would use to mimic that in MySQL, but time is a PHP function.

When you do the update query you set the column that you want to be the time to that value:

UPDATE table_name SET col_time_log = NOW() + INTERVAL 120 SECOND WHERE userid = someid

Then if you want to see if the user has posted recently before insertion you can do this:

SELECT userid FROM table_name WHERE userid = someid AND col_time_log < NOW()

And if there is a row returned that user has posted within the 2 minutes and should not be able to post (given that I did my logic correctly).

EDIT:

Thanks mchl for pointing out how to do it in MySQL :)

Premiso, ive done what you said to do (with it changed a bit to fit my fields)

but its just set the field as '2009' and its not changing or anything at all...this is my code

$timer = "NOW() + INTERVAL 120 SECOND";

$query2="UPDATE accounts SET VehicleTimer=$timer WHERE username='$accountname'";
$result2=mysql_query($query2);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.