When will hosts support PHP 5.3?

Koobi

I love some of the new things that PHP 5.3 brings with it.

The problem is, it's quite new (6 months old?)

I was wondering, how long do you guys think it would be before most reputed web hosts out there would start using PHP 5.3 as opposed to 5.2?

I hope they begin supporting 5.3 before March 2010 at least!

No clue, it generally takes them a while just because it tends to break a lot of scripts doing updates. I know some hosts still run 4.x EEEK.

The best bet is to do a dedicated and you can update it yourself :) But yea, I am sure you can find some hosts with 5.3 on them right now. Or you can probably coerce your webhost to upgrade by paying them an admin fee to do it, as they can still keep everyone else at a PHP version lower than 5.3 by setting the version in php.ini (at least I think you can).

I would say March 2010 is a good estimate.

No clue, it generally takes them a while just because it tends to break a lot of scripts doing updates. I know some hosts still run 4.x EEEK.

The best bet is to do a dedicated and you can update it yourself :) But yea, I am sure you can find some hosts with 5.3 on them right now. Or you can probably coerce your webhost to upgrade by paying them an admin fee to do it, as they can still keep everyone else at a PHP version lower than 5.3 by setting the version in php.ini (at least I think you can).

I would say March 2010 is a good estimate.

Oh I'm on a rackspace cloud so I can install any version I want :D

But I'm creating a framework and I can't decide on making the minimum requirements PHP 5.2 or 5.3

I would love to go with 5.3 simply because there's so much more you can do with it...but if there's going to be little support, what's the point :/

Last I checked, RHEL based Linux distros were lame enough to only support 5.1.

I'll bet Debian will take about a year to get 5.3 :/

I think you guys misunderstood what I was saying. Or maybe I just didn't explain completely in my last post.

I am running on a custom compile of 5.3 too but the thing is, I'm building a framework for people to download and use.

So if Joe Schmo wants to download my framework and use it on his server and he has no control over the PHP version on his server, he won't use my framework.

I'm hoping to complete the framework by March. I'm just wondering if it's a realistic goal to build for 5.3 in case 5.3 is not widely supported by then.

On average, how long does it take for hosts to upgrade to a release? 6 months? 1 year?

Any ideas guys? I've been out of the loop for a while :/

I'm with GoDaddy, and I emailed them asking when they would transition to 5.3 (they currently allow the account user to choose between 5.2.(5)? and 4 - I suspect to allow those who are using outdated shitty code to keep using it in the face of verion 5 being available). Their response: Basically that they are not allowed to discuss such details in advance of a formal press release....

Just for giggles, I mozied on over to Blue Host and utilised their live chat functionality, and asked the same question.. they said they would be using 5.3 around march-ish.

But yeah, I wish hosting providers would adopt 5.3 more quickly... I find that it is a large enough jump over 5.2.x. I'm not sure if hosting providers deliberately take their time to ensure there are security issues or whatnot, but I am finding the adoption pace rather slooooowwww.

Just another reason why I refuse to use shared hosting.

I guess there are shared hostings and share hostings. I can choose from: last 4.x version, last 3-4 5.2 versions and latest 5.3 stable (usually available within week from release).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.