db relationships

im1hunt

Ok, I am using phpmyadmin to create my MySQL data base and it is all working properly. I have normalised the data in my table and have all the feilds set up but I am unsure as to how I create the relationships butween the tables in my db. I know that in microsoft access all you do is open a window with the tables and drag the mouse over the fields you want to join, but I dont know how to do it in MySQL.

can anyone tell me?

I might be wrong here and I am hoping I am becuase I\'ve been doing it this way for some time now...

There is no way to create a relationship between tables in MySQL. The relationships must be upheld through the code.

I believe they are planning to fix this as of MySQL 4

table_name: cities

id | name

1 | charlotte

2 | new york

table_name: people

id | name | city

1 | bob | 1

2 | bill | 2

select p.name, c.name from cities c , people p where p.city=c.id;

(this is off my head - i may have something wrong but i hope you catch the general idea)

would return:

bob | charlotte

bill | new york

it returns the person\'s name and the city\'s name where the city field was equal to the cities id.

• 8 months later...

I have been searching the internet and books trying to find an actual explanation of how to query a DB using something along the lines of relationships. I\'m also an Access & Filemaker Pro user learning MySQL, and learning new terminology and structure is killing me!

Thank you Effigy for spelling it out for us converts!

:D:D:D:D:D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.