Rising of oceans now apparently caused by god's tears..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I'm not happy about my tax money (over $500 million) going towards an Al Gore backed hybrid sports car company.... for one thing, how many people are going to pay around $100,000 for a hybrid sports car? for another, it's in FINLAND... how is that going to help our economy at all?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125383160812639013.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLTopStories

Scaring people is just  another card in the bag-o-tricks to make money, nothing new, but only scum bags make money doing that.

The mainstream media is very guilty of this, ask any person working in MSM, they'll tell you its true , stories about crime, and scay things bring in more eyeballs to their station, and hence also on their advertsisers, BLing $.

Say you had a blog and you put ridiculous bs that scares people, and you get tons of visitors every month, and it make you like a few thousand a month with Adsense, same thing right? Your not going to stop, your going to keep posting that bs on your website even though you know your total scum bag doing it.  These scientists are just avenue of the same business model, maby their revenue is not from ads, but they probably gets lots of money from donations and Gov grants for "research". Which they probably handsomly pocket half of it into their personal piggy bank.

Those who propagate it are the ones who are making a lot of money off of it (or those convinced by these), but often not living up to what they would have everyone else do.

Al Gore is a perfect example, do a little big of research and see just how much money he has made from his bs... while at the same time he owns a mansion that consumes many many times as much electricity as the average person's home, he loves to fly around on private jets, and he loves to eat meat (which apparently is something that hardcore environmentalists say is about the worst thing you could do). These research centers obviously are trying to "hide" data and such, in their own words. Why wouldn't they? They have great incentive to, the more panic they can create from gullible people, the more contributions they get.

IMO, whether or not man made global warming/climate change is a crisis in waiting, not as bad as we're led to believe, or even real is a moot point.  There's no good reason not to try curbing emissions, reducing pollutants that enter the air and our water supply, and attempt to gain energy independence from a bunch of pissed off Middle Eastern people who have no qualms about killing us.  If climate change IS a boogyman, will it really matter in the long run if we increase efficiency and get out of the Middle East?  Indeed, given human nature, a crisis like this - real or fabricated - is what we tend to need to get moving on long term goals.  A cause to rally around which will give us a swift kick in our complacency.

The thing is, atleast in the US, that the same people who try to spread Global Warming panic are the same people that don't allow us to gain energy independence... which would involve drilling for the great amount of oil we have under our own land, building new clean coal and nuke plants, etc

"clean coal"? Is that like dry water?

But seriously, that's more bullcrap. With coal and that drop of oil you'll run out in a couple decades, centuries max. Stuff that doesn't run out is sun, wind and flowing water. At least not for a couple of million years probably.

coal http://www.americaspower.org/

Solar energy is extremely inefficient, that and wind are not extremely stable if solely depended on... and how do you expect to run all the transportation with solar, wind, and water? Try to be realistic here. We need to work on alternative methods, but right now there are certain things that we depend on... so why not provide American jobs and use American resources instead of sending all of our money over to countries who don't like us very much while we work on finding and progressing alternative methods? (again I am speaking from the US pov)

But seriously. Who is advocating "lets buy oil from foreigners instead of burning coal". Nobody I heard of. And you can't drive your car on coal. And a nuclear reactor under the hood seems a little risky. You can drive a car on electricity. Only little oil is actually used for production of electricity, the bulk of it is used to power your cars, the trucks that bring your food to the supermarket and plane that flies to your parents-in-law. I understand perfectly that you can't use renewable energy as a drop in replacement for dirty energy euh clean coal. But it will take a while before everybody drives electric so you have time ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_the_United_States#Electricity_Production

I'm just eyeballing the odds here.  The vast majority of people on earth believe it's going to end one way or the other (religion), and as for the people that don't subscribe to xyz religion, we've got scientist happily toiling away at making bombs and deadly chemicals and viruses and shit, not because they need to or they should, but because they can, because apparently being a true scientist means disregarding morals/ethics, absolving oneself of all responsibility of making that proverbial gun, with the excuse of "Hey I just made the thing, it's up to you to decide whether to use it or not."  Which is IMO is kinda dumb reasoning when there's really only one use for that sort of thing to begin with.

Point is, odds are stacked overwhelmingly in favor of humanity destroying itself.

Solar energy is extremely inefficient, that and wind are not extremely stable if solely depended on... and how do you expect to run all the transportation with solar, wind, and water? Try to be realistic here. We need to work on alternative methods, but right now there are certain things that we depend on... so why not provide American jobs and use American resources instead of sending all of our money over to countries who don't like us very much while we work on finding and progressing alternative methods? (again I am speaking from the US pov)

I'd have thought the answer to that is fairly self evident. If you rely on others for you energy sources whilst keeping your own resources untapped, you will always still have a reserve to tap into when you've finished squeezing foreign nations dry. This is especially worthwhile whilst you can keep the trade of oil solely in Dollars meaning you get to sell your currency to anybody that wishes to buy somebody elses resources.

[ot]Now straying towards the whole 'conspiracy theory' grey area again... Many believe this is the main reason the Iraq invasion 'war' happened. I can sort of see where they're coming from. Sadam was quite possibly a sick tyrant, but he had been 'pretending' to have weapons of mass destruction for years without anybody doing anything about it. As far as I can tell, no extra evidence was found in order to trigger the war (nor was any found since). However Sadam did start selling oil in Euros. Something which was probably done for political reasons, but at the time was a financial improvement for Iraq. This is something Iran are now pushing towards... Watch this space...[/ot]

That sound more like realistic idea, I heard there is enough Coal to power world for 500 years. (at current levels of energy). THe problem though is it stinks.

Something that most advocates of clean energy dont mention or maby realize is the amount of energy it takes to make say a Wind Turbine, How about the energy required to smelt the ore? and then to ship it in flat bed trucks, those need super energy (Diesel).

Then to melt it again and form the parts of the wind turbine? Then the power to lift into the air and assemble it. At the end of all that you realize that without oil we couldnt make those even to begin with. I hope that we make enough of this stuff before we run out of oil, or else we'll be really screwed, your not going to beable to mine ore and smelt and move tons of steel around with green energy!

Also I heard that Nuclear power is actually not doable, if we sourced all our energy need to Nuclear, we would run out of uranium in only 2 short decades, there really is not alot of it around. (As far we know).

Really this stuff called oil, is really free energy, and we're wasting it mowing our lawns, I'm sure the future generations and historians will look back at us 19th century and early 2000's people as complete morons in human history.

Secondly lets not forget that our food is now grown with fossil fuel derived fertilizers, Nitrogen is most cases is completly depleted from farm soils, we already used it all up, the fossil fuel to make this stuff is called natural gas.  When that runs out, we also will have famine.  :shrug:

Hello, hello, is this thing on? You can't drive a car on coal! Oil is hardly used for electricity production, almost all oil goes into transport. Ergo, to improve energy independence you have start driving electric. If you want to burn some freaking coal to compensate for the increased electricity requirement, go ahead. It is still a mayor improvement.

You guys know 1 barrel of oil has the power to do the work of 25,000 hours of human labour? Lets price oil to its realistic price, say minium wage $10/hour, so one barrel of oil should actually cost $250,000.

I got a good laugh out of that. I bet the barrel came up with that one!

And gold has ther power to do 0 man hours, it should obviously be free...

Money like Gold and today's modern money, are actually only stores of energy, you slave away at some job, you get paid, you can blow the money or save it, if you save it then your saving your output, your energy, which at any time you can spend the money to buy stuff from other people who spent their human labour/energy to make. So no gold should not be free. A barrel of oil has the power to do the work of 25,000 hour of human labour, so it worth alot. In farms they can load up their tractor with some disale and have the whole acres of farm land seeded in a few hours,  in the old days you would have to hire a 100 men and they would slave over that field for a few days, effectivly ending up with the same outcome. Lastly dont forget the energy it took for those men to do it, they have to eat and intake calories.  Energy in, Energy out! But with oil we get more energy in then we spend. Thats the only reason in the last 100 years our population has exploded. Its completly all being powered from fossil fuels. Its completely unsustainable.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.