Insert Tags at Caret

Cetanu

So, I am working on this very small editing feature that I would like to behave like forums' BBCode insert things. I have searched high and low for a tutorial or something of the sort to detect where a caret is and then insert my code there....

...I really want it to be slim, and it should work with a textarea. Any help?

Thanks!!!

of course, this sort of assumes there's gonna be only 1 caret in the textarea... if not, you're going to be having something insert at every caret found... but you weren't very specific in your request, now were you.

<textarea id='blah'>some ^ example</textarea>
<script type='text/javascript'>
var something = "random";
document.getElementById('blah').value = String(document.getElementById('blah').value).split('^').join(something);
</script>

hmm well after some research, there's no "thin" way to do this.  I would suggest you start by looking at the js for <insert forum of your choice here>.  For instance, here is the js file for this board:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/Themes/default/scripts/script.js?rc2

starting around line 338 function storeCaret(..)

hmm well after some research, there's no "thin" way to do this.  I would suggest you start by looking at the js for <insert forum of your choice here>.  For instance, here is the js file for this board:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/Themes/default/scripts/script.js?rc2

starting around line 338 function storeCaret(..)

Cool! That's helpful, thanks.  :D

Yes there is a way to easily do this

go to google and type in MDC Selection

anchorNode

anchorOffset

focusNode

focusOffset

You can use these 4 properties of the window.selection (even if there is no selection) and work it out that way.  I don't remember exactly but i did this before and it worked.

Maybe also take a look at MDC Range

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.