what language to learn

CyberShot

eh generally came into my mind while going throught this thread so asked as i seen many many backdoors are written in vb so was wondering if its the only one to create backdoors.

No, it's not the only language that can do that.

To the OP, I'd suggest Java as well.  If your school offers C#, that would be a good second choice.  But stay far away from all forms of VB.  Its syntax is enough to make the strongest person cry.

None of those sound appropiate for a web designer.

Between VB and Java, I would pick none, regardless of my objective.  Java is pretty slow and nobody actually likes to use applications written in it. VB is think is legacy HHL? See the schools got their heads in their asses. They need to get some C#, PHP and cool stuff in those classes.

I would go Java, I took those classes and loved it. It definitely helps in the understanding of OOP and you can do some fun stuff with Java, no matter what anyone else says.

I never regretted learning Java. VB, well I never regretted it but I use VB way less then I use Java, that and VB syntax is just retarded and it pisses me off.

LOl. Some good advice. I did try the PHP class but it was really bad. Really really bad. Several class mates even complained to the dean. If I didn't need to keep the credits, I would ask for my money back. I do not think I will take another php class from this school. For some dumb reason, they do offer a C# class, but only as a non credit class. Go figure that one. I like c#, I think it's a fun language. If they offered it as a credit class, I would take it for sure. They do offer Java 1,2 and three 3.

I only had the choice of VB3 and pascal.. So i choose VB, but out of VB and Java, its got to be Java,

The question is really do you want to create a quick visual utility, or learn to code at a higher standard?

VB is very easy/quick to learn.

Java takes a little more time but you can learn a style that will help you program better and can be applied to other languages as well.

None of those sound appropiate for a web designer. [...] Java is pretty slow and nobody actually likes to use applications written in it.

Try telling that to Google.

I'm pretty sure that they said in the Google I/O presentation about Google Wave that they created the client using Google App Engine and Java.

If you are going to make any Android applications you'll most likely be using Java as well.

None of those sound appropiate for a web designer.

Between VB and Java, I would pick none, regardless of my objective.  Java is pretty slow and nobody actually likes to use applications written in it.

Around here, a lot of company intranets are written in Java.  There's definitely a demand.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.