associating field and ID in database

pioneerx01

Hello,

I have a problem that I can not solve. For ease of communication lets say that I have a registration from where people fill out their first mane and hit submit (lets say John is filling out the form). Once submitted the data travels to my database where new record is created, John is put under "name1" column, as well as ID that is unique to each record. How do I set the database in such manner that it combined those two columns into one (a third one, like "name2") so the end result is something like John32?

Thanks

something like this:

//some name here
$name1 = 'something';

//just insert the first name for now
$query = mysql_query("INSERT INTO table(name1) VALUES ('$name1')");

//gets the last id
$last_id = mysql_insert_id();

//once we have the id and the record there we can just update it with the name1 and last_id
$another_query = mysql_query("UPDATE table SET name2 ='$name1.$last_id' WHERE id='$last_id'");

hopefully that helps. There is a mysql function called last_insert_id() but I think that will be the same type of method i did here, but figured id mention it if you wanted to look into it.

One more question with this.

After the form is filled and submitted I have a PHP page that says something like: Thank you "john" (name entered in the form) for registering. I am having through. saying: your registration id is "John32" (what the previous question asked). How do I recall that from the database. I can not figure it out.

Thanks a lot

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.