#1 yyboo

yyboo
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

Hi,
I have a PHP session problem. I need my users to be able to have their session last 2 or 3 hours, but all sessions get trashed at 20-24 minutes.

I read up on php.net/sessions and one guy there posted a nice 3 point topic on how to get a longer session.. So I followed his advice. One of the things I was supposed to do, and I did, was that I asked my server to give me a specific folder that I could store my session in, and they gave me /tmp.... which I thought was the default and therefore not really a help, since the guy on php.net said the default folder is /tmp and other people's gc could end your session.. But not understanding the structure of a server much , I thought perhaps this /tmp was perhaps in the realm of my own site/folder on the server so maybe it was mine alone.. don't know..

Before I ask my server to make yet another folder for me to test and see if that is the problem, I thought I would post a screenshot of the session part of my phpinfo. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it! I have users screaming at me because they are getting bumped off my site at about 20 min. and they need longer to fill out my forms - they need a few hours, it's a several-page study they are filling out for a counseling session....

see attached image

Thanks in advance for your help!

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----------------------------
www.mommatown.com

#2 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:50 PM

Read the scriptlet posted by info at ericbontenbal dot nl at http://ca.php.net/ma...ache-expire.php - that looks as though it will do what you want.
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#3 yyboo

yyboo
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:56 PM

As you can see from my screenshot attached above, I already have that set for 10800 which = 3 hours. But still I timeout at about 24 minutes. So I am still looking for helpful suggestions from php pros here... thanks!
www.mommatown.com

#4 michaellunsford

michaellunsford
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationLouisiana, USA

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:59 PM

when does your PHPSESSID cookie expire?

#5 yyboo

yyboo
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:14 PM

I have
ini_set("session.cookie_lifetime","36000");
right now and it did no good...

That may not be reflected in the screenshot above..
www.mommatown.com

#6 michaellunsford

michaellunsford
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationLouisiana, USA

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:54 PM

Generally, the session directory is NOT /tmp. I don't know how long /tmp keeps stuff, but I do know the server occasionally sweeps that directory. And that just might be your problem.

A server I just checked keeps their sessions in the /var/lib/php/session directory. We've had a few problems, though. One server wouldn't write to the directory with the correct permissions of 700, so we had to make it 777.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users