What format is this?

lpxxfaintxx

<p><hw>0</hw> <pos>adj.</pos> <sn>1.</sn>  <def>indicating the absence of any or all units under consideration; -- representing the number zero as an Arabic numeral</def><br/
<syn><b>Syn. --</b> zero</syn><

Is there an official dictionary format or something? I'm confused right now, because I want to convert my database of the english dictionary into MySQL querys...

Actually that would probably be quite easy.  Set up a simple ajax application, it'll take the xml data, and display it on the screen in a div, then copy and paste that data, as a formatted data manually into the database.  As far as feeding the database xml data automatically, yes that's possible too.

http://rpbouman.blogspot.com/2006/03/importing-xml-data-into-mysql-using.html

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Using-Navicat-to-Import-Data-into-MySQL/

So if you know xml, mysql, php, and how to run some simple third party scripts(assuming your xml is formatted right, and is validateable, then yes it would be quite easy to convert the information over into mysql.

Someone from a different forums is saying that this is not XML... I'm confused..

<p><hw>Aar"on's rod`</hw> <pr>(<acir/r"<ucr/nz r<ocr/d`)</pr>. <ety>[See Exodus vii. 9 and Numbers xvii. 8]</ety> <sn>1.</sn> <fld>(Arch.)</fld> <def>A rod with one serpent twined around it, thus differing from the caduceus of Mercury, which has two.</def></p>

<p><sn>2.</sn> <fld>(Bot.)</fld> <def>A plant with a tall flowering stem; esp. the great mullein, or hag-taper, and the golden-rod.</def></p>

<p><hw>Ab-</hw> <pr>(<acr/b)</pr>. <ety>[Latin prep., etymologically the same as E. <ets>of</ets>, <ets>off</ets>. See <er>Of</er>.]</ety> <def>A prefix in many words of Latin origin. It signifies <xex>from</xex>, <xex>away</xex> , <xex>separating</xex>, or <xex>departure</xex>, as in <xex>ab</xex>duct, <xex>abs</xex>tract, <xex>abs</xex>cond. See <er>A-</er>(6).</def></p>

<p><hw>\'d8Ab</hw> <pr>(<acr/b)</pr>, <pos>n.</pos> <ety>[Of Syriac origin.]</ety> <def>The fifth month of the Jewish year according to the ecclesiastical reckoning, the eleventh by the civil computation, coinciding nearly with August.</def>  <rj><au>W. Smith.</au></rj></p>

<p><hw>\'d8Ab"a*ca</hw> <pr>(<acr/b"<adot/*k<adot/)</pr>, <pos>n.</pos> <ety>[The native name.]</ety> <def>The Manila-hemp plant (<spn>Musa textilis</spn>); also, its fiber. See <cref>Manila hemp</cref> under <er>Manila</er>.</def></p>

<p><hw>A*bac"i*nate</hw> <pr>(<adot/*b<acr/s"<icr/*n<amac/t)</pr>, <pos>v. t.</pos> <ety>[LL. <ets>abacinatus</ets>, p. p. of <ets>abacinare</ets>; <ets>ab</ets> off + <ets>bacinus</ets> a basin.]</ety> <def>To blind by a red-hot metal plate held before the eyes.</def>  <mark>[R.]</mark></p>

<p><hw>A*bac`i*na"tion</hw> <pr>(<adot/*b<acr/s`<icr/*n<amac/"sh<ucr/n)</pr>, <pos>n.</pos> <def>The act of abacinating.</def>  <mark>[R.]</mark></p>

<p><hw>\'d8Ab`a*cis"cus</hw> <pr>(<acr/b`<adot/*s<icr/s"k<ucr/s)</pr>, <pos>n.</pos> <ety>[Gr. <grk>'abaki`skos</grk>, dim of <grk>'a`bax</grk>. See <er>Abacus</er>.]</ety> <fld>(Arch.)</fld> <def>One of the tiles or squares of a tessellated pavement; an abaculus.</def></p>

<p><hw>Ab"a*cist</hw> <pr>(<acr/b"<adot/*s<icr/st)</pr>, <pos>n.</pos> <ety>[LL <ets>abacista</ets>, fr. <ets>abacus</ets>.]</ety> <def>One who uses an abacus in casting accounts; a calculator.</def></p>

<p><hw>A*back"</hw> <pr>(<adot/*b<acr/k")</pr>, <pos>adv.</pos> <ety>[Pref. <ets>a-</ets> + <ets>back</ets>; AS. <ets>on b\'91c</ets> at, on, or toward the back. See <er>Back</er>.]</ety> <sn>1.</sn> <def>Toward the back or rear; backward.</def> \'bdTherewith <xex>aback</xex> she started.\'b8  <rj><au>Chaucer.</au></rj></p>

<p><sn>2.</sn> <def>Behind; in the rear.</def>  <rj><au>Knolles.</au></rj></p>

<p><sn>3.</sn> <fld>(Naut.)</fld> <def>Backward against the mast; -- said of the sails when pressed by the wind.</def>  <rj><au>Totten.</au></rj></p>

<p><cs><col><b>To be taken aback</b></col>. <sd>(a)</sd> <cd>To be driven backward against the mast; -- said of the sails, also of the ship when the sails are thus driven. <sd>(b)</sd> To be suddenly checked, baffled, or discomfited.</cd>  <rj><au>Dickens.</au></rj></cs></p>

<p><hw>Ab"ack</hw> <pr>(<acr/b"<ait/k)</pr>, <pos>n.</pos> <def>An abacus.</def>  <mark>[Obs.]</mark>  <rj><au>B. Jonson.</au></rj></p>

<p><hw>Ab*ac"ti*nal</hw> <pr>(<acr/b*<acr/k"t<icr/*n<ait/l)</pr>, <pos>a.</pos> <ety>[L. <ets>ab</ets> + E. <ets>actinal</ets>.]</ety> <fld>(Zo\'94l.)</fld> <def>Pertaining to the surface or end opposite to the mouth in a radiate animal; -- opposed to <contr>actinal</contr>.</def> \'bdThe aboral or <xex>abactinal</xex> area.\'b8  <rj><au>L. Agassiz.</au></rj></p>

<p><hw>Ab*ac"tion</hw> <pr>(<acr/b*<acr/k"sh<ucr/n)</pr>, <pos>n.</pos> <def>Stealing cattle on a large scale.</def> <mark>[Obs.]</mark></p>

<p><hw>Ab*ac"tor</hw> <pr>(-t<etil/r)</pr>, <pos>n.</pos> <ety>[L., fr. <ets>abigere</ets> to drive away; <ets>ab</ets> + <ets>agere</ets> to drive.]</ety> <fld>(Law)</fld> <def>One who steals and drives away cattle or beasts by herds or droves.</def> <mark>[Obs.]</mark></p>

Whatever it is or isn't, how is that connected with your original question?

[quote]Is there an official dictionary format or something? I'm confused right now, because I want to convert my database of the english dictionary into MySQL querys...[/quote]

And what exactly did you mean by converting a database into queries?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.