Whats going on here in efficency?

PugJr

I used the same computer for both of these OS types.

1.: EasyPHP + Vista

2.: Ubuntu + PHP/MYSQL/APACHE2

Number 2 runs about 7 times faster than 1. Goes from 3.5 seconds to 0.5 seconds a page refresh.

7 times? How is that even possible to have such a huge difference? I was expecting number 2 to be slightly faster, but 7 times!?

So really, whats up with this huge difference? Is it EasyPHP inefficiency?  Vista? Or does PHP/MySQL/Apache2 just run that much faster on a Linux OS?

The script is mostly querys from a database.

There could be any number of variables adding up to get these results.

Vista is renowned for being a bit of a memory hog, you would likely have had more services / processes running under windows than under Linux.... too many things come into play.

I've been a Linux user now for probably 6-7 years and find it extremely frustrating in my new job having to use windows. It seems much slower at everything, the filesystem (NTFS) in particular just seem incredibly slow when it comes to reading / writing. I swear I spend half my day watching that freaking hour glass.

There could be any number of variables adding up to get these results.

Vista is renowned for being a bit of a memory hog, you would likely have had more services / processes running under windows than under Linux.... too many things come into play.

I've been a Linux user now for probably 6-7 years and find it extremely frustrating in my new job having to use windows. It seems much slower at everything, the filesystem (NTFS) in particular just seem incredibly slow when it comes to reading / writing. I swear I spend half my day watching that freaking hour glass.

I hated that hourglass, seen it all the time. That was until I put together a decent computer with a Quad core and 4GB of ram. I rarely ever see the hour glass anymore. The only time I see it is when there is something obviously buggy with the application itself, not becuase the cpu/ram is bottlenecked. Tell your employer atleast to put more ram into that computer at work.

My machine at work is dual core, 4G ram. The OS leaves allot to be desired.

That sounds good, but I'm going guess since this is work station at a company, it probably doesn't have a shiny GPU in the pci express slot. So onboard graphics?  Something I didn't mention, was before I built my pc , I bought a HD 3870 with 512 MB vram, and put into my HP compaq (Piece of crap pc with 1 core, with 512 RAM).  The hour glass went away. But still couldn't go buck crazy and open like photoshop, and firefox at the same time.  But there was certainly less hour glass problems.  Right now I have an HD 4670 wit 1GB GDDR2 vram. (My onboard graphics is partly HD 3200 with 216 MB vram, Lol )

A lot of Windows slowdown can also be attributed to having a bunch of programs running in the background.  I recently went through all of my startup programs and stopped all but the essentials from running.  I was amazed at the speed increase.  I pretty much run with just anti-malware programs running, and it's smooth sailing for me.

I'm going to chime in and agree with thorpe on the file system.  NTFS is horrible.  You have fragmentation problems that I've never seen occur in common file systems used by Linux.  I don't know what it is about the internals, but file operations like searching are incredibly slow in comparison.

Couple the NTFS file system with the absolute shit MS Search utility and a simple task like "Which files are consuming all my hard drive space?" becomes impossible to answer in a timely fashion.

I remember using Apache,mysql, php on my windows computers some years back. It was slow as hell on windows. Even on localhost, I would refresh the page and will sometimes lag for 3 seconds. Definitely something there on windows that is slowing it down.

Yeah, don't question the quality of your code or database design or anything.

Then again, it wasn't until a little while back that the PHP team seemed to really care about Windows.

As for the NTFS file system...  At least it's not FAT32 anymore x.x.

It gives you just enough time to alt+tab and reload the "Unread threads since last visit" link though.

Heh... yeah that's what takes up most of the "182 days" SMF claims I've been online on this forum. Do that once two times per hour and you've spent one hour on the forums according to SMF.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.