Can't see this happening...

Adam

You know what, I like MySQL, but fuck Monty.  They sold out to Sun.  What'd they think was gonna happen?  I mean wtf, I randomly googled and found that Sun bought MySQL for about $1b.  They saw $$ and gave into it and jumped into the corp game.  It was inevitable that they would be swallowed up like this and they knew it from the get-go but at the time decided the $$ was more important.  And now they want people to "save" it?  Fuck them.  I like MySQL, but where is our guarantee Mr. Monty won't just go running after $$ signs again?  I think Oracle probably will either kill it or turn it into closed source or something.  Sad pandas crying everywhere.  And you can thank Mr. Monty for that, not Sun. 

If he wanted to retain control over MySQL then he shouldn't have sold it. If he wanted to ensure that MySQL forever remained open source he should have added that clause when he sold it.

If Oracle wanted to de-open source MySQL it's their own business. It's certainly none of Widenius', Stallman's or the European Council's.

The legally binding promises he wants Oracle to make are things he should have originally demanded before selling it. It's pretty lame coming back now still wanting to decide shit unless he is willing to pay a couple of [mb]illion dollars (or whatever it's worth).

I cant see the internet  thrive the way it is using proprietary databases, Its the main reason why most use PHP,linux, mysql. Its free, having to pay licenses and all that is too cost prohibitive since it creates barriers to entry for the smaller players, ultimately it would hurt the economy, so there is good reason why these mergers can be blocked by court orders.

My understanding is that Microsoft Sql Server can not be used on web servers (or external servers) that meet a certain criteria due Microsoft's license for the product.  I've never looked into this myself, but it is something my boss has mentioned in the past.

Can anyone in the know shed any light on that particular topic?  It seems like a stupid move on Microsoft's part and I'm too lazy to look into it.  :)

My understanding is that Microsoft Sql Server can not be used on web servers (or external servers) that meet a certain criteria due Microsoft's license for the product.  I've never looked into this myself, but it is something my boss has mentioned in the past.

Can anyone in the know shed any light on that particular topic?  It seems like a stupid move on Microsoft's part and I'm too lazy to look into it.  :)

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.