selling programs(advice on pricing)

Ninjakreborn

I was going to put this in php, but I think it belongs here

I am wanting to start writing php programs and scripts.  Not like anything really advanced yet, just small things that end up taking awhile.
For instance I am going to go ahead and build a database, of all the states, cities, and zipcode, and refernece them so it's infallible.  I know it'll take some monitering over time as assume cities, states, zipcode probably occassionally change around when areas expand.  But I am creating a pretty advanced one.  I was thinking, I would have on my site, a special place where I sell programs, I say what it does, what it's for and how it's used, and provide some sort of documentation.  I have someone pay me through paypal, then they can get to the page to download the database, and scripts, and instruction manual after that.  I was wondering what is the price most programs or scripts are sold for.  For instance like 29.99 per download, or 5 bucks, or 10 bucks, or do they sell them for a couple of hundred, I am just looking for general direction.

It's a hard one really, it's all about experience and market research. It's only going to be worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You can also ask yourself questions like, how long did it take to build? Are there any systems out there that do it better than mine, that are free? Et cetera.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.