Is it PHP : {if $related_categories}

ze_newbie

Hello everybody,
It's my first post and I just started learning PHP.
So excuse me for these newbie questions.

I open a template (with .tpl extension) and I found these snippets.

[code]
{$header}
{$lang.categories}
{/if}
{if $related_categories}
[/code]

My 1st question is :
I think it is not PHP, please can you tell me what does it mean ?

In the template I found also this :

[code]
<meta name="keywords" content="{$keywords}" />
<br />
[/code]

My 2nd question is : why is it for example [code]<br /> and not <br>[/code] ?

Thanks in advance.

You are correct, this is not php. There are many template systems built with php and this appears to be one of them. Usually these template files are parsed by a template engine and the {$variables} you see are replace by something in a database.

There are literally thousands of template engines written in php. Most are pretty simular though some are more complex. What is it you want a tutorial on? Creating the .tpl files? Or actually building a template engine?

The later would [b]not[/b] be a good place for a newbie to start learning php.

I already started with basics. I am not pretentious but for the "basics" I just need few days (quelques nuits blanches).
If am able to write an emulator I think that a template engine will not fear me.
Thanks for your help but a
[code]<?php
  echo "hello world";
?>[/code]
I already know that.
Excuse for disturbing.

[url=http://www.google.com.au/search?q=php+template+engine+tutorial&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial]Google[/url] racked up quite a few results on the subject, Ive not read any tutorials myself.

okay well good luck on learning to build a template engine then. maybe i misunderstood you. you seem to ask how to do it, but you ask basic syntax questions, like the {blah} and why something has [code]<br/>[/code] and not [code]<br>[/code] (which btw isn't even php it's plain old html).  Maybe you can be more specific, or else maybe thorpe's linkie is what you are looking for?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.