Classic PCs vs. New PCs: Their True Cost

nrg_alpha

I paid £60 for 1MB extra RAM for my Amiga 600. I also paid around that amount extra to have the 2GB HDD for my first PC rather than the 1.6GB, how times change.

Ah, Amiga... those where the days.. I used to have an Amiga 500 and 2000. For graphics, Amiga was the man, so to speak. The PCs at the time were pretty much (exlcuding lesser known brands) either IBM or IBM 'clones'. In highschool, we pretty much mocked PCs for their weakness in the graphics department. Oh how times have changed lol

I do miss the Amiga era though.. *Sigh* Brings back good memories..  :happy-03:

I spent endless hours messing about with Deluxe Paint!

As did I! Then in 1996, I got into the game industry.. they were using PCs (ewwww) and Photoshop 3! At the time, PS 3 intimided the hell out of me.. I much preferred Delux Paint over it.. but as I got to learn PS, I realised it was powerful as hell.. that was pretty much the catalyst that got me into getting a PC and a cracked version of PS for home

[ot]Before anyone picks up the phone and starts dialing the anti-piracy police, for the record the current version of Photoshop I'm using is in fact legal and legally mine.  8)[/ot]

I didnt own a PC until Windows xp was out.  Well I did have prior experience using computers when Windows 95 was out, but they weren't my mine, Just friends and the ones at my school. In 1998 computers had like 256MB ram, and that was considered top of the line. The internet was a collection of a pages thrown together with blinking .gifs and construction signs.

I remember in 2001 when I hit Grade 9 , there was this computer science class, I can't remember the name of it, but someone was building a website on one of the computers, I think it was there that I realized that was something I wanted to do,but unfortunately that wasnt part of the class, again I can't even remember what the class was teaching, but it wasn't anything like that. It wasn't until a fews years later in 2005 I got my own computer, then I installed apache, mysql, phpmyadmin , and started casually messing around with it and learning. It took till 2009 before I could actually program anything PHP.

I didnt own a PC until Windows xp was out.  Well I did have prior experience using computers when Windows 95 was out, but they weren't my mine, Just friends and the ones at my school. In 1998 computers had like 256MB ram, and that was considered top of the line. The internet was a collection of a pages thrown together with blinking .gifs and construction signs.

I remember in 2001 when I hit Grade 9 , there was this computer science class, I can't remember the name of it, but someone was building a website on one of the computers, I think it was there that I realized that was something I wanted to do,but unfortunately that wasnt part of the class, again I can't even remember what the class was teaching, but it wasn't anything like that. It wasn't until a fews years later in 2005 I got my own computer, then I installed apache, mysql, phpmyadmin , so instead of endless hours messing with delux paint, I spent mine messing around with a LAMP stack. It took till 2009 before I could actually program anything PHP decent enough to call myself PHP programmer.

>>> I think this is bug, I didn't quote myself. :wtf:

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.