Jump to content

Programming Inspiration


Cosizzle
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, this is a pretty broad topic - and it's not just for PHP but any language. I find when I get bored stuck, I'll hit the ol'stumble button within firefox and more often than not I come across some logo, or web design inspiational ideas and resources.

 

Currently im working on a complex php project here at work, the dead line is about a week away, of course I'm no where near to where I was hoping to be! (You can run only so many prototypes!!  ::))

 

While staring at the sticky notes I created to represent class design, and the white board full of paths leading every which way, I found myself a little confused and stumped.

 

Theres lot's of ways one can get inspiration, or get new wheels turning - what is it that helps you guys?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I'm really stuck, that means I'm most likely frustrated as well.  Taking a break with a nice, violent video game tends to help a lot in those situations.

 

For inspiration, I like to read up on nerd stuff and dabble with different technologies.  Visiting Life Hacker and Ars Technica, reading up and playing with ASP.NET's MVC framework, reading up on upcoming games and talking to my fellow geeks on Penny Arcade's forums.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I'm really stuck, that means I'm most likely frustrated as well.  Taking a break with a nice, violent video game tends to help a lot in those situations.

 

Although I strongly agree with this suggestion, if you're not at work it may be difficult for you to use this  :P.  My company has 80% and 20% time.  80% is obviously our main line of work while the remaining 20% are side projects that one would personally enjoy, but still relate to the company.  So when I am bored or stuck, I will usually work on one of my side projects for a couple of hours to clear my mind and hopefully spark some ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I strongly agree with this suggestion, if you're not at work it may be difficult for you to use this  :P.  My company has 80% and 20% time.  80% is obviously our main line of work while the remaining 20% are side projects that one would personally enjoy, but still relate to the company.  So when I am bored or stuck, I will usually work on one of my side projects for a couple of hours to clear my mind and hopefully spark some ideas.

 

We have a room in our office with a 100" projector and a Wii hooked up to it, I find myself playing Mario Kart online a lot ;)

 

Google do something similar to the 80% / 20% thing you describe, that's where a number of their products have come from, AdWords for example - That "side project" must have made them a bit of cash!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a room in our office with a 100" projector and a Wii hooked up to it, I find myself playing Mario Kart online a lot ;)

 

Insanity.  I have to convince my boss to do the same!

 

Google do something similar to the 80% / 20% thing you describe, that's where a number of their products have come from, AdWords for example - That "side project" must have made them a bit of cash!

 

Yes, they do.  My company tries to follow the same lackadaisical, but yet effective, management approach.  At least this is true for the devs & QA, not sure about the other departments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That type of thing probably could only work in Dev jobs,  it may look like your not working, but your subconsciously figuring out some programmatic problem in your head while playing that video game.  :Pheck sometimes answers to a problem I was having the night before come to me while I'm sleeping. Programming is a 24/7 job.  :D

 

 

personally I find guys like the owner of PlentyofFish, and owners of other startups like Facebook, and the like to be inspiring becuase there entrepreneur programmers, there not caught up in working in cubicles having their skills being exploited by someone else.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have problems during work.  My issue is getting into the zone to work in the first place.  I work for myself so I don't have any rules I need to worry about.  I occasionally run into times where I just can't seem to sit down and work.  This can last days.  My best solution so far has been to take a 45min drive to el paso, tx and hit up jaguar's (strip club) with some friends.  ~$100 goes a long way there.  By next morning I'm ready to get back to work.

 

I also like to have a bunch of seasons of a tv show I haven't seen much of (but like) to take breaks and watch.  I'm on season 3 of entourage right now, can't believe I just found out about it a week ago as it is really good.  (I've gone through all of House, 24, prison break, heroes, rome, band of brothers, big bang theory, ncis, numb3rs, and the unit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is more than a year old.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.