how do I link to a file which is outside of my webroot directory.....

sambib

I've built a content management system which has a file upload page (for a newsletter) and for security purposes I want to have that folder outside of my webroot, though I can't get the file to download. Here's the line in the current download page (this page sits at the webroot):

echo "<td>Issue No: <a href=\"../uploads/{$row['upload_id']}.pdf\" target=\"_blank\">{$row['file_name']}</a></td>\n";

I've seen that you can write a download.php page and have that file sent using the page headers but I was wondering if I could just amend this script.

can this be sorted with .htaccess, or is there some other way?

If you are concerned that people could just path to the file, i.e. domain.com/path/to/your/files/file.blah ... then you could just config apache to not allow this (dont allow files with certain extensions to be loaded. Then, you are secure, just use PHP to start the download -- and then you can auth the user to ensure they are legit to be downloading that file.

You can alias /uploads/ to the actual directory in the http.conf file. The location of this file could be different depending on you system. Mine is /etc/apache/http.conf

Then any time you link to /uploads/ it will go to the apropriate directory, but it will not be sirectly served by apache (browsable)

regards,
...drkstr

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.