Making money from your busy website

jaymc

I bet this all got your attention, unfortunetly Im here for advice, not to give it !!

I have a very busy website, it has 100,000 members and usually has 1000 people online at any one time

I think its time now to start making money from it !

The obvious approach is advertisements, but thats where Im stuck at

Ive tried all the pay per click companys, google add words, clicksor etc. Not enough people bother clicking them... as you can imagine. I want a more solid way. I am looking into popups but some company quoted $0.003 per popup viewed.

[b]What are your experiences?
Any tips?
Any publisher companys you reccomend?[/b]

Thanks !

Have you looked into CPM advertising? Dunno if it would work for you, but it's an alternative to PPC..

But I guess it depends on what kind of website you run. I would try to capitalize on your own content, if possible. Without telling us what kind of content/website you run, it's kinda hard for us to give suggestions.

For example, I am currently working on a browser based text role playing game. Think text version of World of Warcraft :)  anywhoo, the game will be free to play, but I plan on having a little "shopping mall" where you can buy "conveniences" while you play.  I've seen a few other games do this, and they seem to be making a good chunk of change off it.  I like this idea because it promotes really good content and since you don't 'need' the extras and can play for free, it will attract lots of people.  But there are also lots and lots of people who DO like spending money on those extras :)

Well ive never ever tried addverts from it. Its just been a free service that ran riot for a year and ended up with one hell of a busy website

Its only now That im looking to earn cash from it.

The CPM stuff is pretty low rate and its not worth it seeing as you have to bomb your viewers with popups to earn a small amount

from my understanding, cpm is not popups. it's banner ads put on the highest traffic pages of your site, and you get paid a certain amount of money for everytime that page is accessed by someone, not just if someone clicks on the ad.  the idea is that this forces companies to have quality, relavent ads on your site, since they are having to pay money even if they don't get a single click. 

but you have yet to mention what kind of website you run.  we really could be more helpful if you told us.  the fact that you have yet to mention it, leads me to believe it's an adult site tho...if i'm wrong, please do correct me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.