Idea for a PHP framework

devbanana

Hi,

Before I start, please move this if it is not in the right area. I wasn't sure where to post it.

I am thinking about making a PHP framework. It'd be mostly for my own use, but I figure I may as well make it open source (possibly) and allow others
to use it as well, especially if it has a lot of useful functionality and helps with development time, as I want it to. I'll be using it for my future
projects.

This framework would be based on PHP5. It'll have its own templating syntax, which would probably be more declarative than imparative. It'd be inspired
off of ASP.NET's template syntax, probably, unless people give me other ideas.

It would have very good AJAX support, plus a JavaScript library to make scripting JavaScript a lot easier.

It would have a database layer, with a database factory to allow use of various types of databases, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MS SQL.

It would make extensive use of the features in PHP5, including iterators, interfaces, object orientation, and exceptions. The error handling would be very
robust.

It would offer an easy way to validate posted data, some of which may be declarative, or might be in validation classes that would encapsolate validation
rules. I'm not sure how I would be implementing this yet.

Also, the entire reason I am making this is to have it support a service-oriented architecture, if desired. You wouldn't necessarily need to use that I
don't think, but the option would be there, and there might even be existing services that you could reuse. This would be implemented, of course, using
SOAP in PHP5. It would offer an easy way to integrate a service, and specify what type of messages this service would receive. Ideally, you shouldn't have
to worry about the raw XML requests and responses, but of course you could if you wanted to. It would probably have some tools like a WSDL generator for example, and probably some other code-generator tools.

It would have built-in logging and auditing components.

it would have robust authentication, authorization, and other security mechanisms, which would have a default implementation and database design, but would
be flexible enough to plug into existing authentication/authorization mechanisms, or user stores.

Those are the features I have thought of so far. My goal with the framework is to have it be light-weight enough for personal web sites, but powerful,
scalable, and flexible enough for large-scale, distributed web applications.

In this framework, I'm looking to implement a lot of the functionality that I like about the .NET framework, including ASP.NET, but keep the flexibility
and ease of PHP, and also add my own features and improve any features I include from other platforms/frameworks.

Do you think people would be interested in such a framework?

Also, what would be a good name for it? I was thinking of something simple like PHPSOA, but I'm up for other suggestions as well. 

How about PHP.NET? lol...
The framework would quite possibly be useful, however, I think an important aspect of your framework would be good documentation.  A heavily documented framework will get more people interested in your product than anything else.  That's what draws me to using certain tools is their documentation which therefore provides an ease of use for the tool.

[quote author=Corona4456 link=topic=105571.msg421771#msg421771 date=1156483551]
How about PHP.NET? lol...[/quote]

Lol, I had already thought of that, but PHP's own web site is php.net, plus I don't want to make it seem it is exclusively inspired by .NET, or have an expectation that it will be a copy of .NET, because that will not be so. Plus, I'm afraid that association will scare away some developers who don't like anything remotely related to Microsoft.

[quote]The framework would quite possibly be useful, however, I think an important aspect of your framework would be good documentation.  A heavily documented framework will get more people interested in your product than anything else.  That's what draws me to using certain tools is their documentation which therefore provides an ease of use for the tool.

[/quote]

Oh believe me, I agree 100% there. I hate frameworks that provide hardly any documentation whatsoever, and leave it up to you to figure out, with maybe just a couple sample scripts made with it or something. I've previously looked extensively for good frameworks, and so I know personally what draws me to one and not another. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Heh... it's a funny name but I think you have to go with a name that will describe your product well.  Normally when i go search for a php tool I do "phpToolName" in google and in most cases you'll find something you need.  This will draw more people to your site (wherever you plan on having it) and quite possible download the tool.  I know it may seem quite a bit uncreative but it will give your framework more publicity.  Maybe the project codename can contain something like banana :).

Those are just my thoughts though.  :)

I don't know ... it seems to encapsulate all sorts of different languages for web programming.  How about phpDevLibrary?  It just seems like it would be a huge library for web programming through some sort of API.

Others that come to mind are:

phpDevStudio
phpDevTools
phpVisualStudio (lol)

It seems like some sort of development environment for me hence the names :).

Not bad ideas, though they seem a little too generic. Also, the names with "studio" in it, makes me think of an IDE instead of a framework.

The dev library idea isn't bad, but to me, anyway, it is a true framework, not just a library of tools which that name might suggest.

[me=devbanana]is confused[/me]

I kinda think it should be fairly unique, and catchy.

Thanks again. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.