PHP rating

newbtophp

OK, bare with me - i've added a rating system (i've defined the mysql row etc., just havent added any way to calculate) to user uploads at my site, so users can vote:

0-5 and its out of 5, but the problem is, im not sure how to calculate the score (how many votes until it gets to 5/5?) , what are you suggestions - thanks

Aren't there any better choices then to just calculate an average? Many websites use this method and I think it sucks. Look at for example http://www.opensourcecms.com where a certain product receives many votes but a lower average while another product receives less votes but an higher average. Thus if you sort from highest to lowest the second product will show up first while the first has been critised more.. This makes it very unreliable because is a product with 4 stars and 10 votes more reliable then a product with 500 votes and an average of 3?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.