My brain hurts.

corbin

Well I'm helping someone I know out with a website...  Its a very unique situation where their resturaunt is right beside a school and they will be delievering food there once a day... So it would be ideal for staff of the school to be able to order their food online so they can just do it from their classrooms... I can figure out the credit card processing and what not but Im having trouble with how to structure everything... I'm actually sort of leaning towards a shopping cart process where they can just look at an online menu and click add to cart on what ever they want... So is there a better way to do this, and should I write the cart using sessions and a DB?  Gah if someone could just help me think of how to structure everything it would be a huge help...

I don't know the situation so guessing off the top of my head here.

I am guessing there will be many items available every day and some (eg "Soup du jour") which are going to vary from day to day. So you you need to give the restaurant a means of storing all the item is a db and of updating the daily items. Also they will need to update the standard items (eg Canard a l'orange is off the menu today, and longer term if there is a complete revision of the menu) and also update price list, delivery charges, scale of discounts etc.

Also you probably need to categorise the available items - Snacks, Starters, Main dishes, Puddings, Side dishes/extras etc

Having got the restaurant admin bit out of the way you then have the user side. The shopping cart seems a good way to go. Then you have to think about payments. Is it strictly COD?. Do clients have an account and pay weekly/monthly? Is it online payment?

Hope these thought help

Instant online credit card would be nice.  Also sorry i didnt clarify some things... their menu will hardly ever change, so admin side just needs to see what people ordered, menu changing doesnt matter.  Item wise there will probably be 20 items total, but with things like no mustard, white bread... so on... So i was thinking just have the item and allow them to manually put in stuff like "no salt, american chese, mustard."  when they add it to their cart... Then just check out the cart thru the credit card script... Which im not sure how those generally work, so I dont know how to handle that yet... Im working on building a shopping cart type thing at the moment...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.