Eponyms in medicine

Perry Mason

- I would have loved your design in 1998

- Your HTML contains errors

- Your CSS contains errors

Your websites usability is rather poor especially because your application is nothing more then a big library for users to search through and it shows there has been no effort to ease this process not even a focus on load nor is your search clearly visible.

To increase your websites usability I therefor advice to put a much higher focus on your search, experiment with Ajax technology so users get suggestions as they type (name of the drug (in black, higher importance) plus some description (in grey)). Instead of suggestions you could also create a dynamic table that lists all matching drugs.

In the future you may also add filter options, like:

- target audience including healthcare professionals and medical students

- pathology and eponymic, clinical signs, symptoms, surgical techniques

These filtering options should provide your users with a good set of options to drill down to what they are looking for (for example when looking for a clinical sign that starts with a d so they don't get everything in your database that starts with a d but specifically to signs)

Thanks for the critique. I like your idea of search suggestions. Ajax will be my next thing to learn.

So the design is a bit on the basic side (even though I though it was really cool for a first site). Might give it a revamp in future, in the meantime I'm going to concentrate on filling the database though.

As for HTML/CSS validity - ok, I used id instead of class to create navigation buttons and as a result ended up with a bunch of errors in both CSS and HTML. From the user's point of view - what's the difference?

Well, last night I've wasted a good three hours trying to change the style sheet. When I replace id with class (with same parameters) the navigation bar renders skewed. Stupidly enough, I didn't save the original version of the style sheet so I ended up downloading it from the host and then formatting it for another hour.

I guess there is a way to make it work while also being valid, I just have to figure it out.

I guess there is a way to make it work while also being valid, I just have to figure it out.

To make something and being valid are two separate things. Something can be valid but the application does not work or in your case the application works but your html and css are not valid. If you are unfamiliar with the html and css syntax then pick up a book to familiarize yourself with the syntax for both languages.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I read the book and completely re-wrote the script the "proper" way.

http://medeponyms.com/

It validates now and indeed it renders faster. The nibbler rating went up from 3.4 to 6.4 :P. By the way, does valid html/css improve search engine ranking?

I've added a comment/contact form: http://medeponyms.com/contact.php and some social networking gadgets. Got rid of the ugly hit counter that came with 000webhost and switched to google analytics instead.

The images on the right will eventually (once I have enough original images) appear in random order and link to respective articles.

Anything else you would change (apart from the theme)?

Thanks in advance

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.