My Portfolio Site

thewooleymammoth

ill take your silence to mean

"ITS SIMPLY AMAZING! HOW DID YOU DO IT?"

unless anyone objects...

Mmm sorry, I object. As mentioned before the design is really amateur.

"Windows comes pre-bundled with IE to download Firefox" - from your signature thing

That is all i use it for also haha

You may want to think about testing in other browsers, even if you don't use them. In Chrome and IE there are pretty big display issues with the pop-ups you need to address.

Just things like centred code samples, multiple layers of pop-ups, slow responses / constantly waiting for some animation to complete, unusable with JS disabled, zero SEO, etc. etc. Make this site very user-unfriendly and unprofessional in my opinion. Not touching the basic use of Photoshop to create a very rough gradient, thick black lines separating content, the lack of content, lack of logo, etc. etc.

just to clerify: the new look is really ametuer?

sorry didnt see the rest of your post..,.

You may want to think about testing in other browsers, even if you don't use them. In Chrome and IE there are pretty big display issues with the pop-ups you need to address.

Just things like centred code samples, multiple layers of pop-ups, slow responses / constantly waiting for some animation to complete, unusable with JS disabled, zero SEO, etc. etc. Make this site very user-unfriendly and unprofessional in my opinion. Not touching the basic use of Photoshop to create a very rough gradient, thick black lines separating content, the lack of content, lack of logo, etc. etc.

In crhome at first glance it appears to be ok (could be wrong though), IE i havnt tested in yet as i mentioned in the first post.

Site loads pretty quickly according to http://websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

although i appreciate the thought i think i disagree about waiting for animations because it takes the same or less time for the animations than it would to load a new page.

Im not worried about SEO, if people are finding me through google, i wont have time for thier business.

You are right about the background, I need to hone my photoshop skills and come up with a new one.

thanks for the input ill work on that tomorrow.

These are suggestions.

The first thing I notice is the hovering over on the '+' to view a bit of description about the links...it's pointless. It would be easier to make that little section higher (add about 10-15px to the height) and leave the links in the same place that they are, but move the descriptions underneath them. You could also get rid of the gradient background for the nav, and the bottom black border of the nav.

For a simple design like yours, it should not contain 11 validation errors. Your CSS has 5 validation errors. One thing I do find annoying is that you have to wait for boxes to load up when viewing pages.

Now here is where I am going to help you.

When using divs, never use the same 'id' for different divs. If you need several divs to have the same CSS, then use 'class' instead of 'id'.

I hope that I have helped in some way.

Some more considerations:

1. Your design gives away you created it in less than 10 minutes which reflects to prospects you don't put much work in what you do or don't care what you do

2. The + and - are just ugly get rid of them and place the description in their appropriate place like title=""

3. Get rid of the lightbox it ruins the usability of your application, is ugly and just adds to point 1. Also worth considering Google does not open Lighboxes

4. Spend time on search engine optimalisation (deeplink to your pages, highlight important keywords, ..)

5. Integrate a blog and let everyone know (that wants to hear) that you are blogging and write good interesting articles, let clients see you are an expert in your field

6. Great you have experience in PHP, MySQL and stuff (don't know what that is, what is that?) but can you create websites? (Think like the client)

7. "I am currently attending Cuesta and Laurus College for web design" Oh he is a student we don't want to take such risk (Think like the client) -> LIE!

8. "Night calls may not be answered." do you think I'm going to lookup when it's night where you live? Sorry your competition makes it easier for me -> I answer calls between 9 AM GMT+.. and .. or LEAVE IT OUT

9. "check out my source code" ... What is that? Why do I need to care? Why do I need to answer questions when all I need is someone to create my website??? Don't use technical terms. If you can't explain it LEAVE IT OUT. If it's irrelevant LEAVE IT OUT

Take a look at some portfolio websites other members have created:

- http://parkercodes.com/ (Garethp)

- http://www.adamswork.net/portfolio.php (MrAdam)

I have just noticed something in the 'about' pop up for you. You say you have over 3 years of experience in freelance web design...but I am curious to where that fact comes from. Surely in the 3 years experience you have had...you must have learnt something useful?

Check out sites like these for programming help...

w3schools

Tizag (php)

Check out these for inspiration...

Web Creme

Abduzeedo

I hope I have helped you out some more.

I have just noticed something in the 'about' pop up for you. You say you have over 3 years of experience in freelance web design...but I am curious to where that fact comes from. Surely in the 3 years experience you have had...you must have learnt something useful?

w3schools

Tizag (php)

Web Creme

Abduzeedo

You can go f@#k yourself, I have plenty experience in web design, im just artistically terrible. My freind has been doing the actual site designs and i do the php/ some javascript. However he isnt around anymore so I need to learn more photoshop and general site design.

To the other people who arn't duches. I appreciate the *constructive criticism* and ill go ahead and redo a lot of the looks on my site. and some of the functionality. These suggestions are why i posted it on here. Cause i know it didn't quite look good and i wanted some suggestions. Thank you ignance and MRadam. I dont appreciate insults.

And yea the site has a long way to go. Thats why im not advertising it or really testing it in all the browsers yet.

topic solved, perhaps ill open another thread after the revamp.

w3schools

Tizag (php)

Web Creme

Abduzeedo

You can go f@#k yourself, I have plenty experience in web design, im just artistically terrible. My freind has been doing the actual site designs and i do the php/ some javascript. However he isnt around anymore so I need to learn more photoshop and general site design.

To the other people who arn't duches. I appreciate the *constructive criticism* and ill go ahead and redo a lot of the looks on my site. and some of the functionality. These suggestions are why i posted it on here. Cause i know it didn't quite look good and i wanted some suggestions. Thank you ignance and MRadam. I dont appreciate insults.

And yea the site has a long way to go. Thats why im not advertising it or really testing it in all the browsers yet.

I ment thank you guys for the suggestions. Not that you insulted me. that was for lostprophet punk

You can go f@#k yourself, I have plenty experience in web design, im just artistically terrible. My freind has been doing the actual site designs and i do the php/ some javascript.

I know this is solved but you need to relax a little bit.  You asked for a critique and that's what you're getting.  If you think people are posting insulting replies just ignore them.

I'll be looking forward to the revamped site.

"Surely in the 3 years experience you have had...you must have learnt something useful?" - is a comment i found to be very insulting and not in the spirit of the site. So if i spoke to harshly i apologize. I lost my temper a bit.

what would you think of something like this? (attachment)

[attachment deleted by admin]

I do apologise if I offended you at all in the previous topic, I was a bit out of line.

This is a good start to a design, but not quite finished enough to get enough feedback.

I had a look through some of the websites in your signature, and they are pretty good if you are just starting out on the artistic side.

But with the first comment in the other topic, I was providing you help as well...to get rid of really simple validation errors.

no worries i think were both past it. However, I decided to spend about 5 hours today designing the new one and 4 or 5 more htmling it out. check it out its pretty much done besides some minor things, i posted a new topic about it, but i think ill just delete that one and let this one continue.

www.ericwooley.com

Thank you ignance and MRadam. I dont appreciate insults.

For a minute there I thought you couldn't laugh with my joke

Well to put it in other words you moved from 1992 to 1998

Something designers use to point out in a funny way how one's website looks no insult intended

I ment thank you guys for the suggestions. Not that you insulted me. that was for lostprophet punk

Lostprophet indeed said things he shouldn't have said

I like where the design is going but I'm going to give you a few pointers:

- Clients think they know what's currently hot. Because their monthly magazine told 'em. It's something that has flashy colors, images, and looks good that is what is called "Web 2.0" Like I said think they know..

- Get inside the mind of the client and play with that information for your own benefit

- If you are using Photoshop chances are everything is still points-based which explains why all text is so large do this:

Select view -> select the first item, a new flyout appears -> select monitor-rgb

Select view -> show -> enable smart guides

Select view -> enable rulers

Select window -> extensions -> kuler (<- important otherwise visit kuler.adobe.com)

Select edit -> preferences -> units & rulers -> rulers: pixels -> units: pixels

If you create a new document: Select preset web -> size: 1024x768 -> resolution: 72 pix/inch -> color mode: rgb 8 bits

Select view -> new guide -> orientation: vertical, 30px

Select view -> new guide -> orientation: vertical, 990px (contained width 960px, ideal width for a 1024x768 screen)

Select view -> new guide -> orientation: horziontal, 600px (fold)

Create guides for all your elements. For example: banner (guide: orientation: horizontal, 88px), topmenu (guide: orientation: horizontal: 108px), ... and whitespace (<- important)

Before creating a design you should first decide on which pages your website shall contain then create a wireframe (on a piece of paper) for each page. These wireframes will indicate where which elements will be placed. Once all wireframes are in place start creating your desings like indicated above. Keep everything within one PSD document layer every page within one directory.

Great example: http://www.rolfpiechura.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wireframe1.jpg (create one like this for each page)

very nice pointers, i will make sure to do all of that. I am using the blueprint css framework so i have it set to 950 width though. not really important though hahah.

just one question? I thought "web 2.0" refered to ajax? I could be wrong. Also do you have any suggestions of where i could put color? I decided on a black and white theme because I was guessing it would be easier to start out with. Im not really sure where to go from there as far as color though.

just one question? I thought "web 2.0" refered to ajax? I could be wrong. Also do you have any suggestions of where i could put color? I decided on a black and white theme because I was guessing it would be easier to start out with. Im not really sure where to go from there as far as color though.

Web 2.0 design is all about the designs that use reflections, they have that 'shiny table' look. They also use shiny badges and icons within their design.

You have done well with this design, but it needs improving. Great work.

For colour, you could include some within the logo of your website. (maybe certain words of the text, or just the icon of the mammoth. Then you could relate a colour to the colour in your logo, to your headings. (for example...if your mammoth was red, your headings would be red)

I also do recommend Adobe Kuler for use with colour schemes. For some inspiration on different colours, Design Fridge can help you help. Just scroll to the bottom and you can browse inspirational websites by colour, texture etc.

If you are going for a black and white website design, you would be best creating a minimalistic design. These are 25 examples of minimalistic design. That contain very few colours, but have a massive effect on the audience.

It's a common misconception to think Web 2.0 is about colors or a certain technology while it's neither. Web 2.0 is about a new generation of internet applications that share information. It's also referred to as the social web because it brought us Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook, or this forum .. Web 1.0 if you want to call it like that was a version where only experts (those who knew about html and ftp stuff) could exchange information while now about anyone can share about anything.

Web 3.0 will become the semantic web which means that all information will be clearly identified (see HTML 5) Once all information is properly tagged we can let the web do more. It will be able to give responses to complex questions sorted on your interests for example: "I want to see a funny movie and then eat at a good Mexican restaurant. What are my options?" (HowStuffWorks, http://www.howstuffworks.com/web-30.htm)

web 3.0 would be something like wolframalpha? I cant wait for html5 and css 3 ahaha. Anyways thanks for the help guys, However i have run out of time for this project (although i wish i had more) ive got class starting tonight and i have some work doing backend stuff. Thanks for all the help, Hopefully i can come back in a week or so and make some more of these changes.

and no hard feelins lostprophet. thanks for comin through with some more help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.