pagestream

jcombs_31

I'm not a big fan of fully-justified text (especially when there are large gaps between words) so I'd have used left justification in the columns.

I think the images at the top of the three columns need to be all apparently the same size - if the left-most two were taller, that would work, or if each image had a very light border to it.

Given that the 'Why Pagestream' box only has rounded corners on the left, I think the 'recent news' should have rounded corners only on the left ... or modify the 'Why Pagestream' box to have four rounded corners.

Other than those merely personal opinion trivialities, very nice work as usual!!

Thanks Andy, the justified text bothered me too, but so did the jagged column with the left justified.  I'll post one with the left justified to see opinions.  Also, I agree the the column headers, but didn't spend much time looking for stock photos.  I'm sure I can improve that area.  I never even thought about the rounded corner issue, let me think about that.

Edit:  I fixed the text alignment and tried a little rounding at the top section. I'll have to think about the top images in the columns.

Edit Edit:  I'm not sure I like the rounded image in the top?!?

Good Job - I like it.

As Andy mentioned - the 3 images - the one on the left - The gardner and House image is a tad tall.

The Letters COLOUR -> choose better colours for the lettering I think. The colours used in the lettering need better blending in.

Overall - nice. Im wondering how the html version will work - what will be in the 2nd div from the top on each page?

Rgds,
Steve

Ya - looks good. The images are a little better. The old ones were fine too.

As regards what I was on about ->
The "COLOR Scans" piece.
The letters COLOR have different colours - yes!?
Well I think the colours used for the individual letter are the wrong shade. if you step back and take a whole look at that page - the most that stands out is the letters COLOR. I think you should use a different TONE of Colour for those letters. Thats all.

Is there a:hovers on the horizontal nav menu? It would be nice - I hope so. Is that Nav menu graphics based? - Probably. Anyways - nice job.
P.S. Can the user increase the font size? Its a tad on the small side.

-steve

steview, did you happen to notice this is just one large image right now?  Of course you will have different states on the anchor tags once it becomes an actual page.  This is just a mock-up for design critque right now.

Also, the idea with "COLOR" was to make it stand out on purpose.

It looks pretty slick. Wich is probably your intention for a site like this. I do have some comments though:

1) I don't agree with the logo. Make it stand out a little more. The rest of the page can get a little dull, you need highlights.
2) Colouring of text on 'color scans'. Ok, you need highlights, but this is not the way. The image above already gets attention.
3) The corners on content boxes' inner contours don't match the outlines. That really needs fixing.
4) If you have a choice, use a diff image. The woman looks a lot like my aunt after biting a lemon, not an attractive bussiness executive.

[quote author=448191 link=topic=105715.msg422506#msg422506 date=1156622609]
It looks pretty slick. Wich is probably your intention for a site like this. I do have some comments though:

1) I don't agree with the logo. Make it stand out a little more. The rest of the page can get a little dull, you need highlights.
2) Colouring of text on 'color scans'. Ok, you need highlights, but this is not the way. The image above already gets attention.
3) The corners on content boxes' inner contours don't match the outlines. That really needs fixing.
4) If you have a choice, use a diff image. The woman looks a lot like my aunt after biting a lemon, not an attractive bussiness executive.
[/quote]

I didn't make the logo, that is their logo already. Not sure how to make it stand out more.
What do you suggest for COLOR?  Just the blue shade like the rest?
Not sure what you mean about the content boxes, what doesn't match? They are all aligned.
The image will most likely be a different for each page, not sure yet, but I didn't think it was that bad. 

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=105715.msg422532#msg422532 date=1156627261]
I didn't make the logo, that is their logo already. Not sure how to make it stand out more.
[/quote]
I'm glad you didn't. Logo's should always have at least one colour that stands out. Just look at any modern companies' logo. The only colour in this is that very dull blue. Because of it, you're more or less forced to use the colour elsewhere in the page (and you did). How to make it stand out more? That is indeed a challenge...
[/quote]
Hmmm yeah, I guess... Like I said, the image above already gets attention, as it is the most colourful on the page. You could try making all those blue text's match the dude's red tie, or try if you can get away with a brighter blue.
Not sure what you mean about the content boxes, what doesn't match? They are all aligned.
[/quote]
Ok, let me try and explain.

When you place one rounded rectangle within an other one of similar shape, the corners usually don't match:
[img]http://home.orange.nl/lekkage/img/example.gif[/img]

Example off your site:
[img]http://home.orange.nl/lekkage/img/corneroriginal.gif[/img]

I attempted to fix this corner, to show you the difference. Bear in mind that I had to do this off a screenshot:
[img]http://home.orange.nl/lekkage/img/cornermod2.gif[/img]

Also, the border is not of equal width everywhere:
[img]http://home.orange.nl/lekkage/img/bad.gif[/img]

The image will most likely be a different for each page, not sure yet, but I didn't think it was that bad. 
[/quote]

The image is very good. It shows the right scene and the colours perfectly match the layout colour scheme. I just don't like the woman with the glasses, she's looking sour.

[quote author=448191 link=topic=105715.msg422714#msg422714 date=1156663962]
Logo's should always have at least one colour that stands out. Just look at any modern companies' logo. [/quote]
AOL, IBM, Fedex, UPS, Nike, Coke, Sony, AT&T, Ford, CNN, HP, Oracle, BP, ITT, 3M  .... well, not every modern company :) What they all have in common is that they are all easy to read, easy to recognize.

[quote]steview, did you happen to notice this is just one large image right now? [/quote]
Obviously Jeff.

I agree with the subtle points noted by 448191. As for the image of that woman - well if the client is happy with it...

1 question - Is this mockup all done as one big image in Photoshop?? And then you take that image, slice it up and put it into a html page? Im just wondering on an "ideal" approach to slick webdesign.

Cheers,
Steve

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=105715.msg422769#msg422769 date=1156683953]
[quote]steview, did you happen to notice this is just one large image right now? [/quote]
Obviously Jeff.

I agree with the subtle points noted by 448191. As for the image of that woman - well if the client is happy with it...

1 question - Is this mockup all done as one big image in Photoshop?? And then you take that image, slice it up and put it into a html page? Im just wondering on an "ideal" approach to slick webdesign.

Cheers,
Steve
[/quote]

This is how I start every site I make. I draw it first in photoshop and then pull it apart as needed.  I don't see the confusion on how this turns into HTML.

[/quote]
I'm glad you didn't. Logo's should always have at least one colour that stands out. Just look at any modern companies' logo. The only colour in this is that very dull blue. Because of it, you're more or less forced to use the colour elsewhere in the page (and you did). How to make it stand out more? That is indeed a challenge...
[/quote]
Hmmm yeah, I guess... Like I said, the image above already gets attention, as it is the most colourful on the page. You could try making all those blue text's match the dude's red tie, or try if you can get away with a brighter blue.
[/quote]
Ok, let me try and explain.

When you place one rounded rectangle within an other one of similar shape, the corners usually don't match:
[img]http://home.orange.nl/lekkage/img/example.gif[/img]

Example off your site:
[img]http://home.orange.nl/lekkage/img/corneroriginal.gif[/img]

I attempted to fix this corner, to show you the difference. Bear in mind that I had to do this off a screenshot:
[img]http://home.orange.nl/lekkage/img/cornermod2.gif[/img]

Also, the border is not of equal width everywhere:
[img]http://home.orange.nl/lekkage/img/bad.gif[/img]

[/quote]

The image is very good. It shows the right scene and the colours perfectly match the layout colour scheme. I just don't like the woman with the glasses, she's looking sour.
[/quote]

I see now what you are saying about the corners, I'll look more into close details.  The blue color in their logo is actually different.  It is very bright and ugly, I wanted a more soft baby blue color.

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=105715.msg422759#msg422759 date=1156681680]
Logo's should always have at least one colour that stands out. Just look at any modern companies' logo. [/quote]
AOL, IBM, Fedex, UPS, Nike, Coke, Sony, AT&T, Ford, CNN, HP, Oracle, BP, ITT, 3M  .... well, not every modern company :) What they all have in common is that they are all easy to read, easy to recognize.
[/quote]

When I look at every companies' logo in that list, I see bright colours and/or high contrast. Except for IBM, but theirs is ancient.. Btw, when I said colour, I also meant black and white. The're not actually colours, but hey, we use them like they are.

What I don't see is black, grey and faded/pastel blue on a light grey background! No clear contrast, no colours grabbing attention. That not cut it.  :-X

[b]AOL:[/b] White on darkblue background.
[b]IBM: [/b]Well, we're skipping this one... :P The only reason it still exists is because of the very fact that it has existed for so long.
[b]FedEx:[/b] Purple and orange. Ugh... To think they not only put that on vans, but actually make people walk around with that ON them!... Chilling... They DO get noticed for it though...
[b]UPS: [/b]Gold or yellow on 'almost black' brown. It sorta makes that 'grandpa's-cuckoo's-clock-that-has-been-running-for-over-a-hundred-years' look. Which is good. For a transport company.
[b]Nike: [/b]Have been known to use virtually every colour, as long as it stands out against it's background. Currently the're using orange on their logo on the homepage.
Fashion companies are lucky bastards. They get consumers to PAY MONEY to WEAR their ADVERTISING, so they can create more and different forms of advertising, so people will buy more of their advertising... :P
[b]Coca Cola: [/b]Very very mucho red with a little white.
[b]Sony: [/b]White on dark background, or black on light background. Sometimes they get it wrong.
[b]AT&T: [/b]Black, white 'n baby blue.
[b]Ford: [/b]White on blue. Don't think their logo has changed in 50 years...
[b]CNN: [/b]Ol' red 'n white bebe.
[b]HP: [/b]White on black/dark blue background, or blue on white background.
[b]Oracle:[/b] Red AGAIN? You thinks it has something to do with the fact RED STANDS OUT?
[b]BP:[/b] Very bright green and very bright yellow. Almost as intrusive as FedEx's, but in a more friendly less 'toxic-waste feel' way.
[b]ITT: [/b]I know it should be a phone company of some sorts, but I can't seem to find a site. So no logo either.
[b]3M: [/b]Red. On post-it plastic wrapping they usually use black. It's cheaper and looks better on yellow.

Agreed that colours aren't the only thing to consider, they do play a very fundamental role. You are right to say they are easy to recognize. Some of this can be accredited to the colours used. But you're also claiming that they are all easy to read, I beg to differ.

I would argue that readabilty is not that important (for logo's that is). It is more important the logo is SEEN rather than READ. Which is why many companies use bright colours and/or high contrast. Many companies occasionally do not include the (full) company name, as some part of their logo has become an icon. Consumers that don't know them yet will, by means of some marketing strategy, get the right company-logo association. Some don't include the company name often at all, like Nike.

Nike doesn't care about readablilty. Neither do IBM, Coca Cola, Ford... The're old, the're big, everybody already knows them AND their logo, so it doesn't need to be read, just seen.

The letters on the 'Coca Cola' brand name are ONLY easy to read because we all already know what it says! Get yourself a 'Coca Cola font' (there are many on the net) and try a different text. Same goes for the IBM, CNN and the Ford logo. Very much recognition, very little readability.

Nobody would think they tilted the 'E' in DELL so it would be easy to read. It's because it's easier to recognize, which is far more important.

Phewey, I'm rambling again. I think I'll shut up now.  ;D

[quote=jcombs_31]
I see now what you are saying about the corners, I'll look more into close details.  The blue color in their logo is actually different.  It is very bright and ugly, I wanted a more soft baby blue color.[/quote]

Ok, but what you're using right now is not baby blue. Can I see the original logo?

448191, you're thinking way too much.  I also don't see how your comments have anything to do with this web design.  They've already branded themselves with this logo, I simply manipulated the color slightly because I did not want to use the blue they originally had for the site on request of the client and my personal opinion.

Also, logos sometimes changed color depening on how they are used, whether paper or electronic.  I think that it stands out fine and is the first thing you see. You are of course entitled to your own opinion, and I do appreciate the feedback.

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=105715.msg422932#msg422932 date=1156710358]
448191, you're thinking way too much. [/quote]

I sometimes do that. This is [i]not [/i]one of those times, [i]I think. [/i]:P

I also don't see how your comments have anything to do with this web design. [/quote]

You have a point, not much. Most of it was in reply to AndyB's post in this thread, but I didn't think it was too much off topic. Also, I was having a little 'fun'. If you think it is inappropiate, please say so.

They've already branded themselves with this logo, I simply manipulated the color slightly because I did not want to use the blue they originally had for the site on request of the client and my personal opinion. [/quote]

I already got that, and by no means was I planning on suggesting you should create a completely new logo, I thought I could maybe help you pick better matching colours.

Also, logos sometimes changed color depening on how they are used, whether paper or electronic. [/quote]

True, not only that, companies use different versions in the same style for different media, not just colours. As long as your client agrees, there should be no worries.

I think that it stands out fine and is the first thing you see. You are of course entitled to your own opinion, and I do appreciate the feedback.
[/quote]

I can't say I agree. But it doesn't look like you'll take any advice on this one, so I won't go into it. Like you said, we don't have to agree; if you think it is fine, your client thinks it is fine, why should you care what I think?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.