PHP/HTML Registration

simonsays

I am looking for some help. I realized that I do not know how to do it. I have a registration form with several fields.
When user submits data, there is a script that controls data (whether username exists or not, first and second password match, etc...)
If there is an error, it adds it to an array and displays the text(s) of error(s) on the same page where form is.
However, all the data input into form fields is missing then and the user has to go through registration again... How do I do, so the data is saved, so the user has to repair only invalid fields and does not have to fill all the fields all over again. Is there any trick? Maybe the problem is with Smarty template engine that I am using?

Thanks in advance!

I never thought of that before and i noticed my form doesn't do it.  I don't know if it would work becuase i haven't tried it but i would save the field values in variables and echo the vriables in the form fields so if the there is no variable then it echos nothing but if it has something in it iit should echo it

I have done something similar so the field values acho something from a database so i don't see why it wouldn't work

[code]You have to re-display your form with the $_POSTed fields that you have. Like this:

[code<?php
$msg = array();
if (isset($_POST['submitted'])) {
if (!isset($_POST['field1']) ) {
      $msg[] = 'Enter a value in field1';
}
if (isset($_POST['field1'])  && $_POST['field1'] != 'Hello') {
  $msg[] = 'Field1 has invalid value';
}
if (!isset($_POST['field2']) ) {
      $msg[] = 'Enter a value in field2';
}
if (isset($_POST['field2'])  && $_POST['field2'] != 'You too') {
  $msg[] = 'Field2 has invalid value';
}
    // validate the rest of your input

if (!isset($msg)) {
  // you are okay, continue processing the values
}
else {
        print '<ul><li><b>';
        print implode('</b></li><li><b>',$msg);
        print '</b></li></ul>';
    }
}
?>
      <form name="xx" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="post">
      <input type="hidden" name="submitted" value="1" />
        Enter field1 input&nbsp;&nbsp;
<input type="text" name="field1" value="<?php echo (isset($_POST['field1'])) ? $_POST['field1'] : ""; ?>" /><br />
        Enter field2 input&nbsp;&nbsp;
<input type="text" name="field2" value="<?php echo (isset($_POST['field2'])) ? $_POST['field2'] : ""; ?>" /><br />
      <input type="submit" value="Submit It!" />
      </form>
  </html>[/code]

Ronald   8)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.