review my website

MDanz

- Instead of add webpage, -topic, -image reform it to a sentence so the intention becomes clear. I tried to go to about but all I got was that it's like a search engine and I can populate the website and add stuff to my personal stack (what is my personal stack? where is this stored?)

- "Someone is posting innapropriate material?" .. or use the Contact Us form on the front page. Make this more user-friendly.

- Form error handling is terrible. User gets redirected to a completly strange place with no option to return to the form. (Don't rely on the presence of back-button) Form is empty when I return.. Enough for me to say F*ck It! Remember: "Your competition is one click away"

- If this is something popular introduce newcomers by using a featured tour or something

- The user almost never knows where he is on your website (introduce breadcrumbs and other navigation aids)

- Your search functionality changes across pages (users may mistake this and see it as an error)

- Your HTML is invalid

- Layout changes based on type selected try to keep some consistency among your pages

- If a user clicks an item he can not get back

- If a user then happens to return to your homepage he can't see what he already has visited or what is new since his last visit..

thanks!!

what do you mean by the html is invalid?

- i'll add remember what the user has entered in the search bar

yeah to get back to main page was the logo, but i only explained  it in the FAQ.. but i'll add more navigation features.

with form errror handling, which form are you reffering too?  the add image, add topic forms?

thanks for your insight, your right i dont explain what the personal stack either.  i'll get coding 2nite.

By invalid HTML I mean http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stackway.com%2F

i'll add remember what the user has entered in the search bar

That only partially solves

Your search functionality changes across pages (users may mistake this and see it as an error)

with form errror handling, which form are you reffering too?

Sorry, that would be the contact form

1 question..

what is exactly wrong in the search functionality?  need a specific answer otherwise i'd be guessing.

oh i know why my html is invalid.  when i open dreamweaver and make a new php file i get rid of all the html tags and start php straight away.  so when i add html for display after i have got all the php coding out of the way, i'm missing the correct setup of html tags.  lol i knew it was there for a reason.

heres a sample of a personal stack page aka suscribed threads  http://www.stackway.com/ustack.php?search=Superman&submit=Go!  - the user "superman" anything he adds from his searches will be located to this page for other users to see.  this is a registered feature though. 

thanks alot really appreciate this.

i have no idea wht this website is, or what is happening in it,

i would take away the "most" in "most recently added"

I cant quite figure out where im supposed to look, you should define where your content is a little more, and sepereate out your links. Register and user stacks are kinda randomly placed. and i have no idea what you mean by stacks.

thanks for the input , i'll make some changes

corrupshun what browser do you use?

ie8, do not hate

margin-left: auto;

margin-right:auto;

in the #page id should make it centered on all browsers

oh im hatin, ie stifles innovation. But you can take comfort in the fact that you are not alone. I believe ie 8 is the most used at the moment.

thanks , is the front page centered now? haven't got ie8, so can't test myself... 

wooleymammoth is the front page more user friendly now?

you can search for "music" to get the gist of what the website is about.  In summary its just a forum built like a search engine, and you can publish the threads(webpages, topics, images) you subscribe to on your stack page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.