its paying off already.

thewooleymammoth

A freind of mine showed my new website to his dad. And he liked it alot (thanks to you guys). He asked if i could redisign his for him. He said he wanted it to look kinda like a business card. So i created this in photoshop. the second attachment is what he gave me for his company logo and such...

Im still kinda new and insecure with layouts. You guys helped tons with the last one. Hoping the same could happen here.

cant wait for some constructive criticism. I feel like that has already vastly improved my skills.

I drew a little inspiration from mradams portfolio site.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nice work there. One hell of a step up from your first design.

One thing I have noticed is that the logo is quite pixelated...you could maybe work on sharpening that up. I would suggest making the logo on the website (with the text etc) exactly like the one you have made on the business card. You need some more space between your navigation and the header of the page, just to let it breathe a bit.

If you want that 'shiny table' look to have some effect, then smallen the logo, move it to the left of the page. Have the 'McGovern Tech Services' text at the top on the right. Then in photoshop, just duplicate the layer (ctrl + j) and then go to Edit > Transform > Flip Vertically. Then move the top of that text, to the bottom of the other text (so it looks like a mirrored image, and like what you did with the other one). Make sure you are on the duplicated layer of the text. Then in your layers windows, click on the third icon (at the bottom of that layers window), and it should be a box with a white circle in it. That will create a layer mask. Once you have clicked on it, click on the white box that should appear next to the layer. Then using your gradient tool (g) select a white-to-black gradient. Then (ctrl + click) on the duplicated text layer (not the white box next to it), and then drag the gradient from the top of the duplicated text to the bottom of it. Then all you need to do is to play around with the opacity of the layer to get it to look good.

Hope I have helped you out.

sure did ill try out what you said, Im not quite sure how to depexelate the logo though. I recreated it with the pen tool and somehow the pen tool ended up being kinda pixely. i tried filter > sharpen also didnt seem to really do anything. Ill try playing around with it some more, ill let you know how it turns out.

more like that? i havnt done the glow thing yet

yep ive been playing with it alot and it does look alot better with the logo on the right. I figured out why it was pixely also. I think i scaled it up at one point without thinking about it. looks way better now.

if there is anything else you guys dont like let me know.

[attachment deleted by admin]

The link bar thing was an example it can be anything really. Besides a wireframe is always a good idea it's not only about the content. It's how you will line-up everything anything so you can instead of dragging or tapping left- or right key to adjust your layer everything snaps into place and is immediatly correctly spaced. Don't they teach you that in class? If they don't LEAVE or if they don't even know what a wireframe is.. LEAVE EVEN FASTER and ASK YOUR MONEY BACK.

Damn one once told me: unit-testing why would you do that???

The link bar thing was an example it can be anything really. Besides a wireframe is always a good idea it's not only about the content. It's how you will line-up everything anything so you can instead of dragging or tapping left- or right key to adjust your layer everything snaps into place and is immediatly correctly spaced. Don't they teach you that in class? If they don't LEAVE or if they don't even know what a wireframe is.. LEAVE EVEN FASTER and ASK YOUR MONEY BACK.

Damn one once told me: unit-testing why would you do that???

second day of the class haha, but ill keep that in mind. not sure what you mean by "

Damn one once told me: unit-testing why would you do that???"

You normally don't wireframe in Photoshop you also normally don't violate de facto rules :P Yeah I know: I am a pain in the ass :D Put the navigation on top or left or right (rather left th,en right)

ok, so lemme just make sure i understand right, you wireframe in html before you create the design, then you use photoshop to match it?

and the defacto rule i violated is having links on bottom?

The links seemed kinda strange looking to me on top, but ill try it and give you another look at it.

also  how bad is it for seo to have a display: none in the biogrophy and resume divs? then have them pop up similar to how my portfolio pictures pop up? (if you remember that)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.